Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Thinking Of Buying A Back-Up Camera Need Some Help

I am thinking about adding a back-up camera to my pick-up. Need some input on what kind.
1. Hard wire or Wireless?
2. What brand do you suggest?
3. How much is a fair price?
4. Or should I have GM do it, I know it will cost me big time?
5. If I do it myself what is involved?
6. If there is anything I forgot please educate me.
Thanks in advance...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

I would guess that it really depends on what you expect it to do but I used a wireless on our old 31' motorhome that I bought at Costco for around $100. It worked fairly well but picked up a lot of interference which is to say I think it was getting feedback from the engine ignition because the picture got worse if I was accelerating. However if all you want to do is see when you are backing up rather than watching a trailer or Toad while going down the highway then I think they would work great and the installation is much less of a hassle than with the wired type. I think the brand was VR3 or something like that. Many of the auto parts stores sell them too.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Head Rambler

If you're just going to use it on the pickup for hitching, etc. the wireless units might work well for you. If you're planning on using it as a rearview for the RV you're probably not going to be happy with one of those like NWJeeper said.

A lot of people buy these

Bought on ebay here Rearview Camera Setup and they're very happy with them.

This is going to be my next purchase for the RV unless I can figure out a wireless system that will work for over 40 feet.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

I plan on using it just for hook up, but I didn't think about the back of the camper. So what you are saying is a wireless system is not good for long distance like 54' from the cab of the TV to back of the camper?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I plan on using it just for hook up, but I didn't think about the back of the camper. So what you are saying is a wireless system is not good for long distance like 54' from the cab of the TV to back of the camper?
I don't know what the usable distance is on the wireless but at the rear of our 31' motorhome it did suffer poor picture quality but as I said it was mostly while running down the road and we used it to keep an eye on our Toad. If all you want is for hooking up the hitch then a wireless would be a great solution. The camera on most of them is actually built into a license plate frame which makes installation really easy, then it gets it power from taping into the backup light circuit. The picture is flipable either upside down or left/right and you can set brightness and contrast. If you watch the adds you should be able to pick one up now for between $70 and $90 I would think.

My mother-in-law uses one like pictured above for the back of her horse truck and it works great. The camera pictured above also look a lot like the ones used on the back of the class A motorhomes from FR
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Most if the wireless systems are made for short ranges. Most of the ones not for short ranges are fairly expensive. I've thought about using a wireless security camera but then I'd have to buy a monitor that would reverse the image and power the receiver. By the time I did that the cost would be in the range that I could buy a dedicated system.

As mentioned, if your just going to use it for hitching the cheap wireless units should work fine.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #7

I just looked at a cheap wireless unit at Wal-Mart with a 2.5" screen for $98.00, not impressed. I am still looking.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

Camping World has them on sale right now, might check it out. $79 for members

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...cks-suvs/34302
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the info about Camping Worlds sale. I like HokieHall will be spending Valentines Day at the RV show, but I will be in Timoniun MD at the Fair Grounds. I will see what the venders have to offer.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

Well I did it, I just bought a back up camera from Wal-Mart for $100.00. It is a VR-3 wireless system. It has a 2.5" color LCD Monitor. The camera mounts to the license plate and has a wide angle viewing area, it also has a KID ALERT. FYI, While doing reserch I also found out that the wireless system transmits up to 19'. It will be installed soon.