Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Thinking Of Buying A Back-Up Camera Need Some Help

I am thinking about adding a back-up camera to my pick-up. Need some input on what kind.
1. Hard wire or Wireless?
2. What brand do you suggest?
3. How much is a fair price?
4. Or should I have GM do it, I know it will cost me big time?
5. If I do it myself what is involved?
6. If there is anything I forgot please educate me.
Thanks in advance...
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

I would guess that it really depends on what you expect it to do but I used a wireless on our old 31' motorhome that I bought at Costco for around $100. It worked fairly well but picked up a lot of interference which is to say I think it was getting feedback from the engine ignition because the picture got worse if I was accelerating. However if all you want to do is see when you are backing up rather than watching a trailer or Toad while going down the highway then I think they would work great and the installation is much less of a hassle than with the wired type. I think the brand was VR3 or something like that. Many of the auto parts stores sell them too.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Site Team

If you're just going to use it on the pickup for hitching, etc. the wireless units might work well for you. If you're planning on using it as a rearview for the RV you're probably not going to be happy with one of those like NWJeeper said.

A lot of people buy these

Bought on ebay here Rearview Camera Setup and they're very happy with them.

This is going to be my next purchase for the RV unless I can figure out a wireless system that will work for over 40 feet.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

I plan on using it just for hook up, but I didn't think about the back of the camper. So what you are saying is a wireless system is not good for long distance like 54' from the cab of the TV to back of the camper?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I plan on using it just for hook up, but I didn't think about the back of the camper. So what you are saying is a wireless system is not good for long distance like 54' from the cab of the TV to back of the camper?
I don't know what the usable distance is on the wireless but at the rear of our 31' motorhome it did suffer poor picture quality but as I said it was mostly while running down the road and we used it to keep an eye on our Toad. If all you want is for hooking up the hitch then a wireless would be a great solution. The camera on most of them is actually built into a license plate frame which makes installation really easy, then it gets it power from taping into the backup light circuit. The picture is flipable either upside down or left/right and you can set brightness and contrast. If you watch the adds you should be able to pick one up now for between $70 and $90 I would think.

My mother-in-law uses one like pictured above for the back of her horse truck and it works great. The camera pictured above also look a lot like the ones used on the back of the class A motorhomes from FR
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Most if the wireless systems are made for short ranges. Most of the ones not for short ranges are fairly expensive. I've thought about using a wireless security camera but then I'd have to buy a monitor that would reverse the image and power the receiver. By the time I did that the cost would be in the range that I could buy a dedicated system.

As mentioned, if your just going to use it for hitching the cheap wireless units should work fine.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #7

I just looked at a cheap wireless unit at Wal-Mart with a 2.5" screen for $98.00, not impressed. I am still looking.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

Camping World has them on sale right now, might check it out. $79 for members

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...cks-suvs/34302
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the info about Camping Worlds sale. I like HokieHall will be spending Valentines Day at the RV show, but I will be in Timoniun MD at the Fair Grounds. I will see what the venders have to offer.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

Well I did it, I just bought a back up camera from Wal-Mart for $100.00. It is a VR-3 wireless system. It has a 2.5" color LCD Monitor. The camera mounts to the license plate and has a wide angle viewing area, it also has a KID ALERT. FYI, While doing reserch I also found out that the wireless system transmits up to 19'. It will be installed soon.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I was thinking about this one at Sams Club for $99.87:
It has a 7 inch monitor.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
I was thinking about this one at Sams Club for $99.87:
It has a 7 inch monitor.

That's what I was looking for, a wider screen but I don't have a membership I am going to have to fine someone that dose. The one I bought from Wal-Mart is only 2.5" and I wasn't too impress with it when I first saw it but it was the only one I could find at the time. I have not installed it yet, It's going back. Thanks for the info...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Site Team

Well, I'll be looking at one of those this weekend. If it looks like it'll work I plan to buy one and I'll report back on how it works. It has a separate A/V input so if I have to buy a better camera for the back of the RV there's a place to connect it.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #14

I just borrowed my bosses Sam's club card, I am picking one up today.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #15

Let us know what you think about it when you get it installed.Thanks
Also I just looked and JC Whitney has the same Camera listed for $199.99
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #16

Will do!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #17

I have the wired VR3. I extended the wiring and installed the camera on the rear of the trailer. I know the wireless version of the VR3`s have some signal problems. but I`ve also been told that in the box is a order form to convert it to a wired version.

Not sure about the one from Sams?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #18

I pick up the Peak back up camera yesterday from Sam's club, It has a nice big screen. Now comparing it to the one from Walmart the VR-3 besides the screen size the Peak comes with a transmitter antenna that is wire between the camera and the back up lights, the one from Walmart must be built in. For the same money the Peak is a better buy. I was told at Sam's club that they just reduced the price. I don't know if all Sam's are set up the same way in all stores as far as floor plans but they had moved the display from small electronics to the automotive section if anyone is interested. it going to be nice this weekend and I plan on doing the install on Sunday, will see how it go's.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
Site Team

Bought the one from Sams this weekend and installed it. It comes with a 15' cable on the camera that goes to the transmitter and a 6' power cable for the transmitter. The 7" monitor is huge. You can flip the image horizontally and/or vertically very easily so you're covered no matter which way you install the camera. It was correct right out of the box for me. The addition of a remote would have been nice but not a deal breaker.

I first did a test run with it in the back window of the RV. I temporarly set the camera up in the rear window of the RV and stretched the cable as far forward as it would reach then connected the power to the 12v power outlet in the RV. With the cable stretched toward the TV and the transmitter suspended almost to the ceiling, the monitor would pickup the picture. It wasn't very clear and it kept dropping out. The total distance was about 30' and the signal had to go through the front cabinet, the paneling on the front wall, the fiberglass skin of the RV and the rear glass of the TV. Like I said, it did work but not very well. A slightly higher power transmitter/receiver would work great.

Next I moved it to the license plate of the TV and tested it. It worked great from there. So I decided to install it there and use it as it was meant (a backup camera). I initially tested it on the TV with the transmitter setting on the rear bumper. The signal had to travel about 15' through double layers of steel on the tailgate, a two layers of 'Rhino" bed lining, one layer of steel on the bed front, one layer of steel on the cab back and 5" thick rear seats to get to the receiver. It had a good picture but would drop out if I waved my hand in front of the antenna.

The final install was to put the camera on the license plate, route the wires to the back of the cabin and install the transmitter on the back of the cabin with double stick tape. I powered the transmitter off the tail light circuit of the tow power feed. That way I can turn on the camera anytime by turning on the tail lights. The monitor is sitting in the center of the dash right now and the picture is very good and stable in this install and it's worth the money paid. I may move the monitor later to get it off the dash.

One last note. The 7" monitor is very large. Be aware of that because it limits where you can install it. It suggests the visor as one place and it look like it would fit there but then you'd have to route the power wiring to a receptacle somewhere.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #20

I installed the monitor, but did not have time to install the camera I was side tract by a Honey-Do list. Bama, I installed the monitor on the front of the center console. When it is not in use it flips down and faces the dash and it is up- side down. To use it I loosen the thumb screw and flip the camera up and it is just at the right angel and the camera is right side-up. I will have pic when installation is complete.