Old 05-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Once you get your new vents installed (new vent or just the lid?) make sure you add vent covers. The cover will protect the lids and allow you to open the vents in the rain and during storage for better ventilation.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

I know to most all of you owners who are having problems with getting service on their rvs it is a REAL hassle. ALL dealers realize the problem. The problem has been there since the first one came off the line. The PROBLEM IS There are not enough QUALIFIED techs available to fill the number needed. I would wager that every dealer out there has a Tech Wanted sign posted. There are no specific schools out there for training. RVIA has attempted numerous times to get training set up. But techs would have to travel hundreds of miles to get formal training. To slove this dealers hire and put the new trainee in the Prep department to learn about the trade. They learn by doing small repairs first and calling in a more advanced tech for more difficult problems. Hense the delivery problems. The supplier schools for appliances are done at the suppliers facility and are done in the off season for northern dealers, but that is the busy season for southern dealers. The other problem in maintaining a good trained staff is the seasonal aspect of this business. In the winter months with nearly zero service work in the shop when there is ten inches of snow, they need to lay off many of the workers. And If you are like me " I like a steady Job" Techs have to be Electricians, Plumbers, Hvac trained, Carpenters, and metal fabricators all in one . Its very hard to find anyone who can understand and do all those repairs. Sorry for all the troubles out there but there does not seem to find a fix for the service delays out there in the neer future.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchula-Rrit View Post
We're having two vents and covers replaced on our 2006 SunSeeker 3100SS Class C. The repair shop said they want to keep it for three weeks. I got the impression that the work should take, maybe, a couple of days but the RV is going to sit on their lot for a couple of weeks before even starting the job.

Is this normal for repair work? I would think the RV shop would have an interest in taking the unit when they start the job and then release it when they are done. The garage that works on my car tells us when he can take the vehicle. We drop it off, and he starts to work on it that day.

K-R.
2 vents with new covers shouldn't take an hr 2 at the most . i would have them call you the day before they want to do the work then wait for it to be done and leave all in one day
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
I know to most all of you owners who are having problems with getting service on their rvs it is a REAL hassle. ALL dealers realize the problem. The problem has been there since the first one came off the line. The PROBLEM IS There are not enough QUALIFIED techs available to fill the number needed. I would wager that every dealer out there has a Tech Wanted sign posted. There are no specific schools out there for training. RVIA has attempted numerous times to get training set up. But techs would have to travel hundreds of miles to get formal training. To slove this dealers hire and put the new trainee in the Prep department to learn about the trade. They learn by doing small repairs first and calling in a more advanced tech for more difficult problems. Hense the delivery problems. The supplier schools for appliances are done at the suppliers facility and are done in the off season for northern dealers, but that is the busy season for southern dealers. The other problem in maintaining a good trained staff is the seasonal aspect of this business. In the winter months with nearly zero service work in the shop when there is ten inches of snow, they need to lay off many of the workers. And If you are like me " I like a steady Job" Techs have to be Electricians, Plumbers, Hvac trained, Carpenters, and metal fabricators all in one . Its very hard to find anyone who can understand and do all those repairs. Sorry for all the troubles out there but there does not seem to find a fix for the service delays out there in the neer future.
agree with most of what you say . one more thong is the dealers do not pay well . the warranty work will make a tech go broke as the manufactures will not pay for diag . and when you do get approval for work it's flat rate and they don't again pay enough . i mean 12 mins to replace a kitchen faucet . it takes a 1/2 to get the unit to your bay and another 12 mins just getting your tools out let alone trying to make money . .
i'm doing mobile rv repair now we'll see how it goes will be in west yellowstone for the summer any one headed this way that needs work let me know . mention the forum and my name i'll give you a discountn
Old 05-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchula-Rrit View Post
We're having two vents and covers replaced on our 2006 SunSeeker 3100SS Class C. The repair shop said they want to keep it for three weeks. I got the impression that the work should take, maybe, a couple of days but the RV is going to sit on their lot for a couple of weeks before even starting the job.

Is this normal for repair work? I would think the RV shop would have an interest in taking the unit when they start the job and then release it when they are done. The garage that works on my car tells us when he can take the vehicle. We drop it off, and he starts to work on it that day.

K-R.
Sounds like a long time to me. I removed a vent and installed a fantastic fan in less than 5 hours start to finish. This was in my driveway, rained that night so got a leak test at same time and put the inside trim on this am.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #16

If I was a young guy I see a great business opportunity as a mobile tech. Use the RV dealer to get my training and look around to secure capital to open my own business. When we lived in North Mississippi we found a RV tech that did a great job, on time, and without all the extra charges a dealer huts you with.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
If I was a young guy I see a great business opportunity as a mobile tech. Use the RV dealer to get my training and look around to secure capital to open my own business. When we lived in North Mississippi we found a RV tech that did a great job, on time, and without all the extra charges a dealer huts you with.
What training??? If your a handyman or a do it yourselfer, a lot of repairs are the same as in a regular house, plumbing, electrical, ect. As for the exterior, patching a leak, adding accessories, ect, its just a matter of taking your time, using the right materials, and not cutting corners.
I'm not an electrician, plumber, or carpenter, but I've made repair and modifications to my Lexi that I KNOW are equal to, if not a whole lot better than any dealer's tech or repairman would have done.
If I lived anywhere near the OP's area, I'd be the first to offer help for the price of a dinner and beer.
Fixing these things isn't rocket science, more common sense and common knowledge.
This isn't ment to take away from those of you who are mobil repair tech's or have gone through training, just to point out that a lot of repairs or modifications are fairly easy and don't require "training", just handyman skills, the ability to read and follow instructions, and the satisifaction of probably doing a good job.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #18

It all depends on the dealer I guess. We did a lot of shopping around before we bought or new tt last summer, in that time we heard good things about the service dept at a dealership very close and many bad about the one in town. Needless to say we went the few extra miles north and we have been very happy. PDI was excellent the head of the service dept answers the phone or promptly returns calls and is always very helpful. After our maiden voyage we had a few minor things needing attention and the ladder we had the dealer throw in had arrived, they scheduled an appointment for us, it was 3weeks out because they stay busy but they promised it back in 2 days and that's when we got it, all issues had been corrected and the ladder installed.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

When ever we needed any kind of service the dealer set up a time and I was able to wait for the repairs to be done . I can't believe that a dealer would want that many units in the yard at any one time . I would try to find a different dealer .
Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #20

I called my service writer at CW in MB in February when the MaxxAir vent covers were on sale. They were in stock. Labor was also on sale ~~ $16 per cover for GS ,members. Was not worth $50 to buy sealant and get the ladder out. They scheduled for 3 days out. I could have waited if it were not for other plans. Returned 2 days later ~~ about $52 each installed + tax.
If scheduling during summer or the tourist season,,,, they probably would be a week or 2 out and want it for a few days to fit a little job like this in between jobs.
I'll be scheduling some maintenance in November when they are not busy as well. Sadly, will need to winterize before heading to FL.

CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair