Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Tips on securing quarter round, molding, trim

Greetings,

I'm upgrading my first travel trailer a 325 FKD and need some input. I'm going to install either a laminate or vinyl plank (like Allure) but am not sure about securing molding through the trailer walls and floors.

When installing quarter round who do people generally secure it? I am leaning on using a finish nailer but not sure about nail length or angle.

Should I nail it at a 45 degree angle where it protrudes into the corner of the wall & floor? Or directly into the wall? Or directly into the floor?

Nail length? I was thinking about 1.5"

Secondly, I'm thinking about replacing the rather cheap looking, flimsy trim around the edges of major openings, etc with real oak. Once again, I am looking for tips on securing the wood. I'm not sure about hitting studs, etc in travel trailers.

Thanks so much! Rookie at work!
customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #2

Floors are probably 1/2 inch particle board or ply wood. Walls are probably 1/2 inch luan ply wood covered with some sort of vinyl Your choice there.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Floors are probably 1/2 inch particle board or ply wood. Walls are probably 1/2 inch luan ply wood covered with some sort of vinyl Your choice there.

So are people have success nailing directly thru the 1/2 luan plywood? Any location?

I was thinking in terms of drywall. Meaning, I would need to hit studs in order to get a finishing nail secured properly considering the amount of movement and vibration trailers endure on the roads.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #4

I would use a combo of liquid nails and shoot in the nails at a 45 degree angle. It only needs to hold it as the glue dries. Post some pictures as you go.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

try hot glue. It is very fast to install and you can do the whole trailer in a very short time. You have to work very fast with this product because it harden quickly. You dont have to fill the nails holes after and it is very easy to remove in case you want to remove them later for replacemant without leaving damages. Try it and you wont regret.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
RV Newbie

1/2" luan, I think that was a typo? More like 1/8" luan on most walls.

Shoe molding in normally nailed into the floor at about an 80 degree angle. In theory any movement is between the wall and the vertical side of the shoe molding.

Use a nail the goes 1/2" or more into the floor. You could back caulk , a tiny bead, the molding at the floor to seal and hold it in place better.

Now if you are installing a floating floor the opposite holds true, you want to nail into the wall and allow the floor to float back and forth under the shoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab

So are people have success nailing directly thru the 1/2 luan plywood? Any location?

I was thinking in terms of drywall. Meaning, I would need to hit studs in order to get a finishing nail secured properly considering the amount of movement and vibration trailers endure on the roads.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Thanks. You all have been very helpful and the information is much appreciated. It is nice to join such a friendly and professional forum.

Buzzards27, I was thinking 1/2" luan for the walls was pretty thick. I know the luan all around my refridg and bench seats is 1/4". When I tap on the walls they do seem flexible and thin like most trailers I've been in. Guess you need to keep the weight to a minimum in these things.

So I'm assuming the along the subfloor there is a wooden sill plate running the entire length of the floor (like there would be in residential construction)? If so, I can use a great angle to hit solid wood. I am going to install a floating floor.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
RV Newbie

Still say it is 1/8"... there should be a 2 by something, likely 2 by 2, at the floor. Stain and or seal pieces, cut shoe to fit, tiny bead or spots of color matched latex caulk on back of shoe molding and nail into 2 by with 3d finish nails or longer brads. Avoid going more than 3/4" into the sill plate, wires may be in the mid point of the 2 by.

Shoe molding is 1/2" wide and 3/4" tall. I would use oak.

Keep in mind that these little moldings get a lot of abuse, bumps from shoes, kids with toys and brooms, vacuums and mops. Better to over do material and installation then to watch one after another pull loose or get damaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab
Thanks. You all have been very helpful and the information is much appreciated. It is nice to join such a friendly and professional forum.

Buzzards27, I was thinking 1/2" luan for the walls was pretty thick. I know the luan all around my refridg and bench seats is 1/4". When I tap on the walls they do seem flexible and thin like most trailers I've been in. Guess you need to keep the weight to a minimum in these things.

So I'm assuming the along the subfloor there is a wooden sill plate running the entire length of the floor (like there would be in residential construction)? If so, I can use a great angle to hit solid wood. I am going to install a floating floor.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote