Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Tire question

A quick search didn't resolve my question, sorry if this has been discusses.

I keep reading about tire problems. Are the problems with these particular tires, or are the problems because stock tires are being used too close, or exceeding, their rating?

My trailer is about 4200 lbs dry, with GVWR around 6000. I will not come close to 6000, and I won't drive over 65 MPH. Do I still need to be concerned about my stock C rated tires, or will they be ok? The trailer is new, so the tires have only a couple hundred miles on them.

Thanks!
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

The stock tires on mine were within their weight rating and I suspect most others are too. They are very poorly made tires however, and many replace them with either GY Marathons or Maxxis and also go up one load range.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've been researching the so-called "china bomb" tires as well, since I saw mine are Trail Express and say "Made in China" right on them.
I asked my dealer, who sells quite a few Forest Rivers, and he said he hasn't had a single person complain about the tires...then reminded me to always check tire pressures before every pull-out and, also, the torque on the lugs.
So instead of spending $700 or so to replace all five tires, I'm going to spend about $300 for a good tire monitoring system. (That monitors both pressure and temperature.)
I'm leaning towards the "Truck Systems Technology Trailer and RV Tire Pressure Monitoring System" but still doing research on them...I'll pick up a system this winter.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #4

Just prior to our TT arriving, DTD had a $100 off fleabay coupon for a set of ST225/75-R15 GY Marathons in load range D. After that, a $60 GY rebate and selling the Trail Express tires on CL for $175 I had $135 in four new tires including mounting and balancing. I'm ok with the TE for a spare.

If the tire doesn't run low before it blows TPMS, won't give you any warning.
I may get one later, but for me getting better tires was what I wanted.
With the way these trailers are built there is frequently substantial damage when a tire blows.

I'd also recommend metal valve stems.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I've been researching the so-called "china bomb" tires as well, since I saw mine are Trail Express and say "Made in China" right on them.
I asked my dealer, who sells quite a few Forest Rivers, and he said he hasn't had a single person complain about the tires...then reminded me to always check tire pressures before every pull-out and, also, the torque on the lugs.
So instead of spending $700 or so to replace all five tires, I'm going to spend about $300 for a good tire monitoring system. (That monitors both pressure and temperature.)
I'm leaning towards the "Truck Systems Technology Trailer and RV Tire Pressure Monitoring System" but still doing research on them...I'll pick up a system this winter.
Below is one of my Trail Express tires on the first trip of our 2nd season. Our dealer was equally shocked and amazed that there was a problem with these fine tires. Then the valve stems cracked on all four remaining tires.

The collateral damage when one of these lets loose can be very expensive. The OEM tires are not the top of line stuff. Where they are made is of no relevance since basically every ST except Maxxis (Taiwan) comes from China. Trailer tires take a beating and need to be replaced (generally) long before the tread is the worn to the minimum.

I wouldn't replace OEM tires on day one, but I do think they have a pretty short life span. Then go for a better brand like Goodyear Marathons or Maxxis.

And you can't go wrong with the TST system. TPMS is something I wouldn't to tow without after our experiences with these fine Trail Express tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140528_193206_984.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	65994  

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Many do have problems but you rarely hear from those who do not. I plan on replacing my Westlakes in 5 years, til then we will see. I run five trailers 4 with china bombs various brands 1 small trailer with 20 year old Carlisle Truck tires (long story number starts 7.00) Just came back from TN with it (200 mile round trip). I replace them when they show dry rot usually 5 years. Last set on the box trailer showed up in the treads. Put Arkur (SP) on it.

I personally think road hazards are a good deal of the cause of failures.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

It's really a hard call for me.... new tires to prevent a possible (probable?) blowout??? How much will the tires cost? How much would the potential damage cost? Will there even be a blowout?

I guess I have to try my best at risk management and how much exposure I can tolerate. You can pay me now, or pay me later.... or, maybe, not at all. Hmmmm
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
Old 11-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #8

I'm pretty sure any damage would cost more than the $135 I spent upgrading tires. Regardless of whether you upgrade or not, I would advise:

Checking the lug torque on your wheels before each trip.
Checking the tire pressure of all your tires before each tow, and at fuel stops.
Checking the condition of your tires (cracks or bulges) before each tow, and at fuel stops.
Keeping them out of the sun when not towing (tire covers)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
I'm pretty sure any damage would cost more than I spent upgrading tires. Regardless of whether you upgrade or not, I would advise:

Checking the lug torque on your wheels before each trip.
Checking the tire pressure of all your tires before each tow, and at fuel stops.
Checking the condition of your tires (cracks or bulges) before each tow, and at fuel stops.
Keeping them out of the sun when not towing (tire covers)
Yeah, you did really well! Somehow I don't see me getting 4 tires for the price of one.

Tags
tire