Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #21

Just as an FYI some of the larger 5`ers are built with LT tires. I know I was looking for LT`s for my TT but they didn`t have "E"`s in a 15" size. I went with Carlysle "E" rated tires. I too did alot of research and the majority of the failures were in the "C" rated sizes with a very few failures of "D"`s, but still enough to cause concern. I have over 3500 miles on my Carlysle`s and they are wearing perfect with no signs of failure.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #22

And people still insist that ST tires are the way to go. LOL I just do not understand why y'all are so insistent on using those junk tires. My fiver came from the factory with American made LT tires. Next year I will probably replace them with LT tires. Either BFG Commercial TA's or Michelin XPS Ribs. Both rated for trailer use. Both Dot rated and both that have a reputation for holding up. Cannot say the same for any ST tires made today. But it is your money to waste as you see fit.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Many folks here have had very good luck with LT tires and I hope you continue that trend as well.

The Goodyear Marathon ST Tires on my camper were made in Georgia.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

In some states it is the law that a trailer must have "ST" rated tires, even a lawn mower trailer. Now we wouldn't want to go and break the law would we, by running "LT" tires on our trailer?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
In some states it is the law that a trailer must have "ST" rated tires, even a lawn mower trailer. Now we wouldn't want to go and break the law would we, by running "LT" tires on our trailer?
myth. Please provide proof of this baloney.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
myth. Please provide proof of this baloney.
Please try to be civil with your comments. We are all friends here.
It is OK to disagree with a statement, but try to be civil about it.
I would love to know what states they are too. I have a very good friend running LT tires and need to let him know he could have a problem.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
Site Team

As Lou said, let's be nice. There are lots of ways to make a point without insulting someone.

My suspicion is that if some states "required" ST tires then the RV mfg's wouldn't put LT tires on some units. However I wouldn't be surprised knowing some of the outlandish laws that exist.

I would have LT tires on our unit if they came in a load range D in the size required. Unfortunately, FR decided to put the axles so close together that increasing the tire/wheel size isn't possible.