Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tires for 5ver

Maybe it has already been beat to death about the best tires and if somebody can "POINT" me in the right direction--PLEASE DO SO?

I have ordered a new Rockwood 8285WS from RVW which was to be ready this Friday, but on the phone this morning I was told that due to all the snow in OHIO and Indiana that the plant was running behind about 4-5 days.

Now my question is, I understand the tires are from KOREA that are used on the 8285WS. I have been looking for a good replacement tire, I have found a Carlisle tire ST225/75r 15E that is a 10 ply. A set of four out
out the door $479.00, mounted life time balance and rotation. Any suggestions, comments? Can't find out if they are US made or not.

With the cool (actually cold) weather, there is not much talk about blow-outs on the hot roads or the normal tire talk.

I am now waiting on suggestions?

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
While it is possible that the tires being put on your camper are Korean, be aware that Carlisle tires do NOT come from Carlisle PA. They are Chinese.

So, the real question is do you need to replace them before (or immediately after) you take delivery.

Not knowing the max gross weight of your camper or the tire size/load rating and manufacturer of your OEM tires,I still doubt they need to be replaced immediately. 70% of all tires made in the world come from China now. They need to meet DoT specifications in order to be sold. You need to be aware, though, that OEMs put the lowest load rated tires possible that at least can carry the Max rated Load. Since most campers run close to max, in my experience, the OEM tires start to fail in their second or third season. The closer to max you run the camper, the sooner that will happen.

Even Goodyear Marathons are not all made in North America.
Most are, but not all. You also need to have them tell you the manufacture date. It is not unusual for "new" tires to be a year old by the time they get shipped here and installed.

Here is a list of DoT country codes. The manufacture date is a molded 4 digit number like (3510) that means the tire was made in the 35th week of 2010. Scroll all the way down.

DOT Codes
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I agree with Lou. Why replace "new" tires with something else, and that something else might not even be as good as the OEM tires. Check the DOT dates, and replace them in 4 or 5 years.

Spend that $479 on a good tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), and still have a couple of hundred left over for other things needed for a new camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I have found a Carlisle tire ST225/75r 15E that is a 10 ply.

I've attached a link to Carlisle's site referencing the tire size and load rating. The 'E' range 225/75/15 are rated for 2830# per tire at 80 psi. The standard tire Rockwood installs is a 'C' range 225/75/15 rated at 2150# per tire at 50 psi.

However, Rockwood installs axles rated at 4000# per axle on your 5ver...the 'E' rated won't give extra load carrying capacity.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou
OK, my opinion on why moving up from C to E is a bad idea; but C to D is a better option.

At the risk of starting another "flat tire" thread; I will throw this out. When I had my Carlisle blowout, I researched this issue ad nausea (as readers of the flat tire thread can attest) and reached the following conclusions.

Tire wear patterns will be a direct result of over or under inflation for the load placed on them. Any tire site will confirm this.

A C tire rated for 2150 pounds (plys and stiffness) with a 2000 pound load at the correct inflation pressure for 2000 pounds will have its entire tread "face" in contact with the road with even pressure across the face. It will spread out (squish) to its optimum width for load bearing at that PSI. That "footprint" will depend on tire construction (plys and sidewall stiffness), internal pressure, and load.

Over-inflation FOR THE LOAD (ie running the E rated tire at 80 PSI) will cause a balloon like tread with only a small part of the center of the tread in contact with the road. This will cause the center of the tread to wear much more than the edges. Since it will have less than optimum tread in contact with the road for stability and control, over inflated tires will be less efficient during braking; the hard tires will bounce more causing more stress on the camper and its contents; and will be more likely to break loose during a panic stop.

Underinflation for the load comes with its own problems. Under Inflating a 80 PSI tire by 35% (50PSI), to conform to the load requirement to have the proper amount of tread in contact with the road, will cause heat buildup in the side walls and early failure.

IMO the advantage of going up two load ranges (increased ply and therefore increased road hazard protection) is outweighed by the disadvantages.

Having said that going to a D range tire (2540 pounds at 65 PSI), will give you extra plys for strength and road hazard protection, yet correct inflation for the load (even a few extra pounds for safety - like running 55-60 PSI instead of 50 - provided your rims can handle it) will still give you plenty of rubber in contact with the road; less bounce; and the ability to go 70 MPH with ST tires safely (according to Goodyear and Maxxis) due to the extra pressure. This is only a 10-15% under max inflation and should not increase side wall temps significantly.

For these reasons I have Goodyear Marathon D rated tires on my camper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer_Tire_load_and_pressures.pdf (142.2 KB, 12 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote