Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Toilet troubles likely?

I'm new to RVing, actually still in the planning stages, and have a stinky (pardon the pun) question for some more experienced travelers.

I've heard that the Thetford toilets sometimes have an odor problem. There are supposed to be several fixes for this, which sometimes work and sometimes don't? The problem is supposed to be worse in hot weather (I live in Texas), and apparently the holding tank isn't as self-rinsing if the trailer is stationary (I plan on largely having it in one RV park for months at a time).

Of course, all this is based on Internet research rather than experience. And if 99% of the toilets work perfectly, and 1% have odor problems, you always hear about the 1%.

But I'm considering selling my house and going full time in a trailer, and really don't want to spend the next several years in something that smells like an open sewer. That would take some of the fun out of it.

Any experienced RVer's that can tell me if the horror stories of permanently stinky toilets are true?

colliewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
No they are not really true but ALL toilets will stink if they are not venting correctly this is not a ("Thetford" only issue) AND/OR you aren't using the right chemicals.

Personally over many years of RVing I have had NO luck with the "septic safe" holding tank treatments, they all tend to do a bad job with the smell. I have had the best luck with the plain old Thetford holding tank chemicals which have formaldahyde in them. I just call it "blue stuff" (I don't know the real name for it) It comes in single dose bottles that are good for 40 gallons. If you are in very hot temperatures you will need more per "charge"

To "charge" the black tank is to add one bottle of tank chemicals (or pouch or otherwise the recommended amount for the tank size) to the tank and then add 2 to 3 gallons of water. You are now good to go.

DO NOT leave your dump valve open while hooked up to the park sewer dump as this will cause poor draining of the tank and odors to come up from the sewer. You should only dump the tanks when they get near full so that they can drain properly.

"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Thanks, that's just the sort of thing I need to know (and would rather not find out the hard way).
colliewagon is offline   Reply With Quote