Old 09-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Something not right is causing the fuse problem. In the private jet business we were trained to never, ever, ever reset a tripped breaker or fuse while in flight...unless the problem solved by resetting it is more serious than the fire that will start when the reset is accomplished.
We were never taught that in Army flight school but then again, it was not unusual for breakers to get soaked whenever it rained. Our CH-47Ds weren't very water resistant.

Most jacks are made in China and manufacturing and quality variances may result in variances in motor load draw. If wiring and grounds checked out, I'd increase fuse size by 10 amps and be done with it.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #22

You might want to perform a voltage drop test on power and ground sides just for extra insurance that it is not corrosion or motor problems causing issues. Google it and learn.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
You are so right, it could happen at anytime! And usually the most inopportune time too.

I never knew these Automatic Reset Breakers existed. I definitely like the idea of them resetting themselves opposed to changing out the fuses. Have you experienced less, if any at all, "trips" since you installed the breaker fuse?

Haven't had a trip since replacing it. But the circumstances that caused my initial trips have not been duplicated yet. There is a safety built into them, if it is a short and not just a nuisance trip they will not reset until the short is repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #24

I usually retract ours fully to give the chains freedom of movement... our chainstay is located behind the jack(?!). I am careful at the limit, just bumping the switch until it retracts fully. Usually I get a "tic" instead of a "TOCTOCTOC".

I don't like to extend the jack all the way if at all possible... I'll take a tip from an earlier post and mark the extension tube to indicate where there's only a little travel left.

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Haven't had a trip since replacing it. But the circumstances that caused my initial trips have not been duplicated yet. There is a safety built into them, if it is a short and not just a nuisance trip they will not reset until the short is repaired.

Thanks for that great info, Scubanut. Much appreciated. I'll be checking into those.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post

May I also add there are some breakers of this type that also must be removed and allowed to cool enabling them to reset. These have a small heater type circuit keeping them blown until reset
Old 09-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #27

That I didn't know, but the one I bought say it will auto-reset as long as there is no short. I bought mine at Napa auto parts. Good information to know while looking for them and to read the packaging.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #28

I have had resettable fuses go bad, good to use til bad. Just replaced fuse holder on jack, opened weather cover fuse fell out, connectors were weak and loosened from amp heat I am figuring. Bought one that I could use 10 g wire with. Last year replaced up down 30 amp switch, melted and all connectors there, same type of issue. Eliminated light,more trouble than worth. Weather sealed switch to cover.

Tags
fuse