Old 09-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
kob

Tongue Jack Fuse Blow-Outs

I've blown 4 fuses in the line of my tongue jack recently. It's blown every time in the same manner....when retracting the jack, if I leave the button pressed for just a second after it gets all the way up, the fuse will blow. To combat this, when I think it's getting close to the top, I just toggle the switch back and forth until I not it's retracted all the way (Kind of like stopping the gas pump on $20 even). It didn't do this during the first year I had the camper (27DBUD). When retracting the jack, I would just hold the button in until you here the "clicking" noise for a second, nothing too long and then stop pressing the button. Now it will blow the fuse if you hold it a split second too long.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Most jacks use a 30 amp fuse and yes don't bring it all the way up to lock the motor.......

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to contourcrazy
My fuse blew the last trip out. The wife was controlling jacks as I was buttoning other things up. Changed the fuse and no problems since. Will keep you posted to see if it does it anymore. I think she just held the switch too long.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #4

I got a 30 amp circuit breaker to replace the fuse after changing it out every time I raised the Jack.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
Head Rambler

Loose connections cause an increase in current draw due to low voltage. I'd check all the connections in the jack power wiring, including the fuse holder.

Have you thought about retracting the jack all the way in and then cleaning and painting the extension tube so that you can see when it fully retracted?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
I got a 30 amp circuit breaker to replace the fuse after changing it out every time I raised the Jack.

X2 on the 30amp circuit breaker. Automatic reset if it trips. Fits in the same fuse holder as 30 amp fuse!! A bit pricy but if you constantly have those nuisance trips it's worth the $20.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Usually Confused Member

Something not right is causing the fuse problem. In the private jet business we were trained to never, ever, ever reset a tripped breaker or fuse while in flight...unless the problem solved by resetting it is more serious than the fire that will start when the reset is accomplished.

The poor connection problems mentioned are a good troubleshooting start. If all is good there then it sounds like a fault in the motor, or the motor is not big enough for the task. I have the Husky 4,500 pound jack and it has never had a fuse problem. However, it does have micro switched cutoff at the upper and lower limits.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #8

Check your ground connection. It should be against shiney metal. The torque of locking the motor may be knocking your ground loose.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kob View Post
..., if I leave the button pressed for just a second after it gets all the way up, the fuse will blow.
That's why most jacks (the ones I've seen) have a warning tape around the shaft saying, in essence, stop here. These motors aren't clutched so when the jack travel limit is reached, the motor binds and amperage soars as the motor continues to try to turn. My money is on operator error.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
X2 Best solution.

Tags
fuse