Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Dallas Texas

Top 10 things to do and/or buy for used trailer

It's offical, we finally made a deal on a gently used 2004 Cardinal 33CKT. Got it from the owners so I was able to get the maintenance and repair history.

It's been sitting for just under two years but they kept it clean and pest free. The tires (LT type) are about 5 years old, tread looks new but from what I've been reading on the forum I need to replace them. I'm also going to inspect the water heater and annode to see if needs replaced.

Battery is stone dead so it gets replaced. Since it's been sitting in a storage state I don't think I need to do much to get it prepared for winter but I'll check anyway.

My questions for ya'll is what are the top 10 things I need to do and/or buy now or when we get ready to take her out for travel?

This is our first 5er and trailer with bathroom/shower utilities and tanks (obviously).

Cheers

Bill

Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would get a new water hose, new sewer hose, they age also. you know about tires, and the anode rod in the water heater. Since you don't know if it was winterized properly, put water on it, and check for leaks. Don't forget to check all the traps, even the one under the shower, (pull access panel and use a flashlight). Fill the propane tanks, and check furnace, stove, water heater. If water heater is electric, test that also. check fridge, gas and electric operation. Roll out the awning and inspect operation, look for tears or holes in fabric.

Better suggestion, find PDI checklist on here, and check it all. Know you aren't getting a warranty, but I would check everything before I signed the check. Then is something is wrong, can renegotiate price as to who is going to pay for the repair.

Good luck

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Dallas Texas

Thanks for the info. I'll add them to my list. I found the PDI checklist - it appears to be very thurough. For those that are interested you can find it here: PDI Checklist

I'm also going to buy some of the rubber gasket conditioner for the slides. I've been reading those need to be treated to maintian compliance. There are few products out there - just need to check some specs.

How about roof conditioner or coating. What should be used and how often?

Bill
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #4

First off welcome to the Cardinal Family... When you are getting your new tires you might as well have them pull the hubs off and grease the bearings check the and adjust the brakes. If you wait on the tires you still need to do the bearings.

On the roof you will get as many anwers as there are trailers. I use a watered down simple green clearner w/soft brush. You have to wash the sides of the unit during and after cleaning the roof. Just check the caulk around everything and inside for leaks. You may get more leaks after cleaning then you do now.

good luck and enjoy try not to over think the issues.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

While on the roof, check the roof vents. They Don't take sunlight for much longer than two yrs without becoming brittle. I'm talking bat those 2" covers. The larger ones, I would check also.
If the end caps and around each jack haven't been redone, I would redo them.

There is an add on brace that runs parallel with the axels and is mounted (bolted. On) to the spring supports...one between each support, see if u have them. If not add them. This is suggested from the frame manufacture. Relieves the stress on the frame. Dont know beginning yr but looks like up to 2006 were suspecpectable to frame cracks behind the tires. My 2002 developed them this past summer.

Ur right to replace the tires, even those with very low tread wear will still dry rot and come apart. My first one failed at 3 yrs.

Welcome. U should get many years of good use out of ur cardinal.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Dallas Texas

Thanks for all the great input. My list is growing longer but that's ok. I want it right.

Cardina14fun - Have you never used the roof treatment or coating? I've got mixed feelings about it but to some degree it makes sence becasue of the UV protection.

Jimh - I've check and even called one of the manufacturers of the add on brace. I did inspect mine fairly well before the purchase for those cracks. Didn't see any but I too read about about them. I'll most likely add those in the spring.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #7

I got concerned this year over the cracks in the caulking around the sky lites and such. I did get some uv protentant to spray on. I really do not think it was worth the time nor money. I am however leaning toward doing the all the caulked seams with etherbond tape.

You may also want to check this web site for great cardinal info:CARDINAL RV CLUB

cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote