Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Torking up the leveling bars

Seems I am putting a hell of amount of stress on the chains holding the weight distribution bars on, or it seems to me. 2001 Z71 pulling a SV291, weight aprox
5500 lbs for the TT. I hook the third link on the finger link and pin it down. Same for the other side. Truck sits ok and tows ok but the front end of truck sits maybe one inch too hi. I am afraid of breaking that little hook pin the chain connects to. I have jacked the hitch height of the TT and Truck to put less stress on those cast iron swing up pins. What I am saying is how much stress can you put on those connecting pins that hold the chain tension
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't say what hitch you had, and what makes you think the nose of the truck is one inch too high? Hate to say this, but search on here for hitch set up, and you should get many post. Hope one of them helps you. As for hooking the third link, definitely wrong on a Reese Dual Cam, need at least 5 links. Not sure on others. Might also search for your hitch on the internet and proper set up procedure. Also for your trailer weight, you should probably have 800 pound spring bars.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with windrider. If you are using a Reese Dual Cam the you need at least 5 links of chain to be used.

The title of this thread bothers me. They are not leveling bars.....they are weight distributing spring bars. They are not used to level the trailer, but used to put some of the hitch weight back on the front of the TV and some back on the trailer axles. In doing that, the front of the trailer will be lifted some, as well as the back of the TV. Leveling the trailer is a secondary purpose of the spring bars, but should not be used in the setup. That can only be done by following the fender measurements from the instruction manual. The trailer might be level, but you may have too much or not enough weight put back on the TV front axle without doing the fender measurements, or by combining that with a weigh-in somewhere.

After getting the weight distributing correct by tilting the ball mount platform, your trailer may or may not be level. At that point, you need to adjust the trailer tongue height but raising or lowering the ball mount platform up or down on the hitch shank to level the trailer. If that is done, then you may again need to tweak the tilt of the WDH to fine tune it to the new height.

It takes a little to get all of this right, but it is well worth when you are going down the road. I had to do all of that, along with flipping the hitch shank, to get my setup just right over the way the dealer had me set up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

sounds to me like the ball hieght (distance from the ground) may not be correct. (as per MtnGuy post above) . Plenty of info available on the Internet, or get a hitch specialty shop to set up your trailer/truck combo correctly.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
sounds to me like the ball hieght (distance from the ground) may not be correct. (as per MtnGuy post above) . Plenty of info available on the Internet, or get a hitch specialty shop to set up your trailer/truck combo correctly.

...VTX-AL
X2 I would start with ball height. If that isn't right, nothing else is going to work.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote