Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

◦Torsion Axle, Rubber-Ryde Suspension and "Traileraid"

According to Camping World tech support, the "traileraid" for changing a flat on a tandem axle will work with a Torsion Axle, Rubber-Ryde Suspension. We have purchased this just in case.

After reading another thread, I'm beginning to wonder if this will lift the bad tire up for changing.

We have the 2010 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W.
granny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny60 View Post
According to Camping World tech support, the "traileraid" for changing a flat on a tandem axle will work with a Torsion Axle, Rubber-Ryde Suspension. We have purchased this just in case.

After reading another thread, I'm beginning to wonder if this will lift the bad tire up for changing.

We have the 2010 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W.
If you've already purchased it, try it.
It may or may not raise the bad tire. I rolled up onto a 4-1/2" stack of planks with my 5er and the bad tire still made contact with the ground. I had to break out the bottle jack.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Team

On my trailer, I can stack a couple 2" thick board and pull the
good tire up on that and the other tire is well off the ground.
Try this on your trailer. You might not have anything to worry
about.
I could also use the scissors jack that came with my truck.

Just as important, be sure you have a tool that will remove your
trailer lug nuts.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, it will work. In fact it works better on torsion axles than on spring hung axles because the torsion doesn't have the equalizer between the springs that has to over center before the other wheel is lifted.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks to all for the good information. Looks like from the last post that it will indeed work on the type of axle we have...We can't try it out yet, because the trailer is leveled up and not ready to move out just yet, but very soon...yeah!!!
granny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #6

With the torsion axel is there a chance of damage from overloading from having all the weight carried by one axel? i know it wouldn't be for long but I don't know how robust the rubber cords are.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #7

"All" the weight is carried on 4 points: hitch (or tongue jack), two wheels on good side, and the device. Calculate for a 6000 lb trailer 10% on the tongue leaves 90% on the axles. Weight shifts to the wheels on the ground when you lift a bit, so at least 45% is on the good side. That leaves less than 2700 lbs on the lifted axle. But - I prefer (and suggest) lifting both axels on a side at same time with a jack and a block long enough to lift both axels. I put a jackstand under both axles and then drop the load on the stands. I should say here I never take the floor jack and jack stands camping. I use a bottle jack on one axle in an emergency. Always use chocks even when hitched when lifting.

Those axles are designed to carry a load of 3000 lb each more outboard of the jack location and will be fine if you do a reasonable job temporarily lifting to change a wheel out. I KNOW the manual says not to lift by the axle but where else is there? I lift this way frequently without any problem.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle