Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #1

Unhappy Total newbie question

Ok, this may sound really dumb, but I cannot find the water filter canister on my 2009 Rockwood 8296SS. (we just brought it home and are brand new to rv'ing) There is an extra cartridge in one of the kitchen drawers, and a white plastic tool with a round loop on one end, which I assume is for opening the canister and changing the filter............... but for the life of me, I cannot find the canister. Of course, the "manual" that came with the rv, is of NO help.

Thanks!!!!!
Maggiesmom:

Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #2

It is not a dumb question at all. FR seems to like to hide these. I don't have your model trailer, but mine was next to the water pump and fresh water tank which are under our bed. They can also be hidden behind wall panels that are screwed in where you would never find it without asking. Try locating the water tank and pump as your first place to look. You may have to remove a drawer or a panel to get to it.

And you are right about the manual. Total worthless.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I have an 8317SS and it's with the pump in a compartment behind an oak panel door at floor level with hinges on both sides. You have to take the screws out of one of the hinges to open the panel door to get to the filter and pump. There is a warning sticker that says "Do not use for storage".

By the way, this is also where you can winterize the water system if you install a bypass valve to feed in the antifreeze. (Maybe yours came with one, but mine didn't)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

Mine is behind a panel in the outside storage compartment in the back of camper it would be on the left side if you are facing the bumper . You have to remove two screws in the panel and pull it out you will see the water pump and just a little farther in you should see the water filter it is a real pain to reach. I hope this helps
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the info. Now I don't feel so bad. I thought it was in plain sight and I was just missing it! Sounds like an adventure trying to find it. I'll see if I can locate it this evening.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #6

Found it! It was just where Chevy02 said it would be AND it WAS a pain to reach! Too bad I'm not the svelt teenager I used to be!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #7

I am glad you found it.The filter should have a new one in it and the other is a spare . No they dont give you much room to change it thank God for skinny friends.
If you need anything else just holler
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #8

some of those 'mechanicals' are hard to locatate without a map. I really didn't like those that had the 'double hinge' arrangements... so i removed the screws on the frame side.. and added a magnetic latch behind the door. Now the appearance is nearly the same, but i can instantly get inside when the need arises! PROBLEM SOLVED!