Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Toyhauler tiedown ssues

I have a ck3012 whichworks well except I have been having problems with the toy tiedowns in the floor. They are held down with what looks like 2 wood screws into the floor. (not what I was told by my sales person. Was told they went through to the frame and not just into the wood). When I tie down the screws are abviously too light duty and they break off in the floor.. Have had this back to the dealer now 4 times for the same issue plus several others.. Has any one else had this probem and if so what was the answer other than tur the trailer back in as a Calif lemon law candidate??
talldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

I would have assumed that the screw went through a metal crossmember or the frame. If they don't I believe they will continue to pull out. Another option would be to screw through the wood floor and have a large metal "backer" plate to catch the screws.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

I have a 21rr and was worried about the screws and decided to take one out to see if it just went into the plywood floor. I turned it several times and it is definitely screwed into something in addition to the wood floor. It was so tight I screwed it back and left it alone. I tie down a Polaris RZR and so far have not had a problem. (One trip 400 miles)
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Yes,I have thought about getting the shop to put backer plates on bolts that go through the floor instead of the screws.. Strange now that Forest River now says in their brochures that they have 2000# rated tiedowns.. I was wondering if this is a problem they have had in the past?? This is the 4th time I have had it in the shop for this and other issues since I took delivery of it on Oct 30 2011.. So far not a good track record in my book..
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Your post got me wondering, so I went out and crawled under my 2012 work and play 18EC. The 3 screws holding the tie downs go through a threded metal plate below the plywood. The plate isn't very large but I guess it works.

I wonder if you could just add the plates to the tie downs. I would contact Forest River and see if they are an available part.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

I wrote a detailed post about installing "real" tie down points for this reason in my 17rr as well as for the useless location FR placed them in

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tle-22215.html
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

What are you tying down and how are you doing it?

Most 'toys' have suspensions and you just use the straps to compress the suspension a bit and that's it. No wratched type straps needed as they can exert way too much force.

I've got a cargo trailer that I put rails on the walls and used self tapping screws into the frame of the trailer (not much thicker than sheet metal). They're only 1/4" screws. I've got some wratchet type straps as i've got to hold heavy cargo still and and I can dent a wolmanized 2x12 and the screws don't pull out.

This is the 'fancy' aircraft style tie down rails
AnchorTrax Truck Bed and Trailer Cargo Control System w/ Sliding Tie-Downs - 1' Long AnchorTrax Trailer Cargo Control,Truck Bed Accessories AT3375

I went with E-track - lots of options and choice for securing loads, making shelves and more. Harbor Freight, Grainger and others have it too.
E-Track Strips, Straps & Accessories at Trailer Parts Superstore

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #8

Hey I want to thank all who have replied so far.. All are excellent suggestions.. My factory installed tiedowns are held in the floor with just 2 what appear to be less than 1/4 dia wood screws. I have been told by the seervice manager that they only screw into the wood floor and not through to the frame as the salesman told me prior to buying the unit..Also yes I am tieing a Rhino down and it does have suspension that compresses when the ratchet strap is used but my old toyhauler had noo problem with this setup. I've hauled the Rhino over 1800 miles in the old toyhauler without a problem.. When I hauled the Rhino on the 1st outing I wasn't able to get the Rhino tiedown before 4 screws popped.. I was leaving the next day from Northern Calif to the AZ desert for a month. The dealer got it in that afternoon and was able to fix 4 tiedowns so I could use it for the trip.. The next trip I took was Memorial Day weekend and 2 of the 4 tiedowns he fixed for me broke before I was out of the driveway and that was after I had it in the shop after my Arizona trip and they checked all of the tiedowns or so they say... I really don't want to start modifying the tiedaown system on a new trailer as I feel you shouldn't have to on a rig that cost what it did... So as it stands we have the rig in the shop AGAIN... We'll see what happens this time...

Don And Sharon
2012 Stealth ck3012
2009 Yamaha Rhino
2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #9

Hi talldon, I have a 2012 Work & Play Model WPT30WR Toy Hauler and had the screws like you are talking about. I was worried that they would not hold our motorcycles and would come loose in travel and mess up the bikes. I made a list of some minor things that were wrong with the hauler including the D-rings in the floor and scheduled a time to take it back to the dealer. I told the service manager that I wanted the screws removed and replaced with a bolt and nut with a washer on the bottom side on every D-ring. When I went to pick it up I crawled under and made sure that they did it before I took it home. I have hauled the bikes without any problems. They should not be allowed to put just screws to hold down the rings. I can't imagine my bikes falling over because they were installed poorly from the factory.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #10

I have had a few discussions with the service manager about the bolt and nut versus the wood screws and I told him I wanted the bolts and nuts.. He is contacting Forest River to get the ok to do the repairs as of last Friday... I have since found out that I have an issue with the rear ramp moving out of adjustment while traveling.. After we go on a trip the rear ramp moves and then allows rain water or water when I wash it to come into the trailer... This is also the 3rd time it has been in for that issue.... As I said in the past,I am beginning to wonder if I have bought a Mnday or Friday built 5th wheel... Seems like every time I get one problem resolved another one comes up.... Getting close to trying to get in touch with a Forest River rep if possible and talk to him/her about what can be done.. I have a feeling that when the 12 month warranty period is up with this dealer they will wash their hands of it and say everything is on me from then on.. I want some reassuances from the dealer and the factory that won't happen before the warranty is up...