Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

TPMS for single axle trailer

I haven't had much luck scanning the forum or finding info elsewhere... But, does anyone have any recommendations for a tire pressure monitoring system that they're using on a single axel travel trailer? So far I've only found one that claims to work for two tires, and I've considered motorcycle systems. Hoping to find something that doesn't have large clunky sensors that could damage the valve stems....

For years I've always been diligent about checking the tire's condition and air pressure before any trip, and continually during. Never had any problems, even with the so called cheaper off brand tires that campers seem to come with. But this past Spring, barely two hours into our travels, KABOOM! Fortunately I was able to pull off immediately with minimal damage to the edge of the wheel well. But, now I'm kinda' spooky about it, and wondering if a TPMS would be worth the while.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

TPMS can be a good addition, but consider spending the money on the top of line tires+balancing+better valve stems, a really good tire pressure gauge, and a torque wrench. Just check your pressures and lug nuts before a long pull and do a walkaround at every stop, and you are golden. That is, unless you get a puncture. Then the TPMS might give you some advance warning, but maybe not.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

I use the EezTire tpms. You can have one single sensor, or up to I believe, 24 sensors.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Brake is on left

If you do not have TPMS on your TV, it may be worth getting a 6 tire system. Just a thought.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
I haven't had much luck scanning the forum or finding info elsewhere... But, does anyone have any recommendations for a tire pressure monitoring system that they're using on a single axel travel trailer? So far I've only found one that claims to work for two tires, and I've considered motorcycle systems. Hoping to find something that doesn't have large clunky sensors that could damage the valve stems....

For years I've always been diligent about checking the tire's condition and air pressure before any trip, and continually during. Never had any problems, even with the so called cheaper off brand tires that campers seem to come with. But this past Spring, barely two hours into our travels, KABOOM! Fortunately I was able to pull off immediately with minimal damage to the edge of the wheel well. But, now I'm kinda' spooky about it, and wondering if a TPMS would be worth the while.
TPMS is going to detect a leak and let you know or drops to zero in a blow out. In your case the tire went BOOM, you realized it, some damage...minimal from how you described...and you were able to get off the road. In this case...TPMS wouldn't have prevented it, but would've let you know something happened. Larger dual axle trailers, you may not notice right away that there is a problem until much damage was done and a TPMS will give you a heads up in that situation. It's nice to know what your tires are doing. With smaller single axle, and I had a tire or two go on those and I knew right away there was a problem without TPMS and still got off the road fairly quickly.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I got the TST system for my single axle, works great, 3 trips using it, and I really like it. Nice to look at unit on my front windshield and keep and eye on tire pressure AND temperature. When I called to order it and told them I heard about it on the Forest River Forum, they gave me a discount too. I have one with color screen and 2 sensors. My pickup already has tire pressure monitoring.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I got the TST system for my single axle, works great, 3 trips using it, and I really like it. Nice to look at unit on my front windshield and keep and eye on tire pressure AND temperature. When I called to order it and told them I heard about it on the Forest River Forum, they gave me a discount too. I have one with color screen and 2 sensors. My pickup already has tire pressure monitoring.
This one.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

I have a single axel TT. I bought a 6 sensor TST monitoring system.
Why 6 sensor for only a single axel TT ?
Even though my SUV (tow vehicle) has TPMS, it does not monitor the temperature of the tires or if the pressure rises too high. It only lets me know if the tires have low pressure.
It only took one incident to happen for me to realize I must get a monitoring system for all tires, not just the TT.
The incident .... we were taking a short weekend trip (without the TT) and traveling back home through a little town, we started smelling something getting very hot. DW swore it was the SUV, I said nooo...it was a car that passed us.
Guess what? It was my SUV.
The brake caliper was stuck in the out position causing my rear driver side brake to heat up. By the time I was able to pull over safely, the wheel and tire were screaming hot and smoking. We waited a couple hours for it to cool down and then I drove to a repair shop.
BUT if I had a monitoring system on my SUV I would have noticed the increase of temperature and would have been able to pull over sooner.
I only put the sensors on the SUV when we are traveling a long distance as the SUV is not driven on a daily basis. And when the TT is stored for a period of time, I also remove the sensors.
I bought the TST monitoring system- 6 sensors, color display. I love it and recommend it.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

I have the TST system for single axle trailer it came with two sensors the rest of it is the same as the two axle version.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
If you do not have TPMS on your TV, it may be worth getting a 6 tire system. Just a thought.
I did the same; parameters can be set for each axle individually
Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

TMPS

We have this unit and use two sensors on our camper FR T12DDST and it has done a great job. We had a valve stem go bad on a trip and it has a loud emergency deflation alarm. Our tire pressure dropped to 18 PSI but then it held so we get to an exit and an additional 2 miles up the road to a tire repair garage. With the temperature addition we could watch the tire temp which dramatically increases in a low pressure situations. With four sensors you have spares just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Un...%2C355&sr=8-19
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #12

Thank you for the responses.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #13

Tireminder TPMS for single axle trailer

I've been following the "China Bomb" exploding tire hysteria on the forums, so I called Forest River tech support. According to them, most of the tires that blow out are a result of improper inflation or a high duty cycle that trailer tires are not rated for. If the tires are on the road for extended periods of time, FR recommends TL rated tires that are similar to car and truck tires. The trailer tires are intermittent duty and I believe will be adequate for our use, but if our requirements change, we can upgrade to tires with a higher duty cycle.

I think a TPMS is a good idea. I had a tire spring a link on my SUV while I was on a freeway and I was able to exit before I lost control of the vehicle.

I found this at Camping World. I only need a two tire solution since our town vehicle already has factory TPMS.

https://www.campingworld.com/tiremin...toring-systems

It's $126 and unfortunately, it's on backorder as of today on their web site.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #14

Tireminder TPMS for single axle trailer (follow up)

I actually found the single axle TPMS at RVUgrades.com for $121, in stock and free shipping, so I ordered it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #15

I picked up a 4 tire system and put 2 of the sensors on the back of the truck and 2 on the single axle trailer. It may be redundant but it works.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms, trailer