Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
bmg

Trailer Aid

Been thinking about one of these. Our '06 Surveyor is a pain to jack since it's so close to the ground and needs to be jacked on the axle. Just wondered what experience others have had.

Trailer-Aid PLUS -- Black - Trailer-Aid Store

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Head Rambler

They work, but if you already carry a set of lego style blocks or even a few wooden planks it's just extra stuff to tote around and store. You can use wood or lego blocks to make a ramp to raise one wheel.

And P.S. You're not supposed to jack torsion suspensions on the axle tube. You're supposed to jack them under the frame. The tube is thin enough that it'll bend by jacking on it.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

I have one but I also have a fifth wheel with lots of outside storage. I used it once in my driveway and it was pretty reassuring to have a cup for tire rather than just the wood planks but Bama is right it's extra space and it's not small.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
bmg

Thanks for the input. I've only jacked 1 time when we had a blow out. I jacked it on the frame and then later on read where you shouldn't jack the frame since it's light weight and could bend. So I assumed that jacking the axle was the way to go. However the axle is close to the ground and the small hydraulic won't fit under it. So I was thinking that the Trailer Aid would solve the problem. I do plan to get 3 more new tires this spring and was planning to take 1 off at a time and have it mounted and balanced and reinstalled. I have boards, but it seens the Trailer Aid would give more stability and it would be easier to position the wheels since it would be easy to know when the tire was located in the cup.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
CampeRooo

Without having used one, I completely agree on the safety of the device BMG. The question is, will this part "walk" on you when you attempt to use it? It reminds me a bit of the vehicle ramps we used in the garage when we had to work on one of the cars and they were famous for walking away just as the front end came up on them. I know that I'm talking apples and oranges when it comes to weight and heights and whatnot, but it still makes me wonder. Last thing I would want is for this thing to fight me tooth and nail while trying to pull up on it...not fun when you're pulled over on the interstate if you know what I mean. I think the first thing I would look for is something like rubber feet to hold it in place while it's on the ground and then double check the weight capacity to see if will hold up to the weight of the TT and then some (knowing most roads around here are sloped away from the centerline).

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere
Without having used one, I completely agree on the safety of the device BMG. The question is, will this part "walk" on you when you attempt to use it? It reminds me a bit of the vehicle ramps we used in the garage when we had to work on one of the cars and they were famous for walking away just as the front end came up on them. I know that I'm talking apples and oranges when it comes to weight and heights and whatnot, but it still makes me wonder. Last thing I would want is for this thing to fight me tooth and nail while trying to pull up on it...not fun when you're pulled over on the interstate if you know what I mean. I think the first thing I would look for is something like rubber feet to hold it in place while it's on the ground and then double check the weight capacity to see if will hold up to the weight of the TT and then some (knowing most roads around here are sloped away from the centerline).

Joe
Never had a walking problem, the bottom is not smooth it has some plastic teeth
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
CampeRooo

Excellent!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

bmg,
If you haven't already ordered this, Amazon.com has it for WAY cheaper!

Amazon.com: Trailer Aid 24 Black Trailer Aid Plus: Automotive

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
bmg,
If you haven't already ordered this, Amazon.com has it for WAY cheaper!

Amazon.com: Trailer Aid 24 Black Trailer Aid Plus: Automotive

John
Thanks, I was planning on ordering from Amazon. Earlier I posted the manufacturers link since it has more info, but their price is way high.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #10

Lego blocks

I have 2 sets of these and under stand how to build them up. Never tried it to change a flat though. I just don't understand how when the good tire is up at the top of the piramid is the flat not on its way to the top? Just don't understand you are only going up 1" at a time where do you ever get enough clearance for the flat tire to not be any more than 1" lower than the good tire. Would some of you more experianced people please explain this to me?