Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer pre-wired for backup camera

We purchased a Wildwood X-Lite that is pre-wired for a backup camera.
We're informed that a Furrion backup observation camera is a good system and would work for our trailer.
Was told by dealer that we would just need to remove the cover on the mounting bracket and install the camera in it's place.
Ordered a Furrion backup wireless observation camera unit.
When I went to install it, the mounting bracket on the trailer was a different size than what the Furrion is (not compatible at all), plus the power cable on the trailer is a total different connection than for the Furrion.
Called Furrion support and was told that if our trailer had a Furrion bracket on it the it should fit without no problems. All their camera systems use the same bracket and power connection. He suggested that a different camera system other than Furrion was installed on our trailer.
Am going to call or go by dealer to see what the deal is. Camera units are not cheap.
Just checking to see if anyone else has ran into the situation.
Gpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #2

Nope, Un-did 4 mini screws, plugged in the camera, put the screws back and everything worked fine. I ordered the camera kit, so I have an "extra" bracket.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Purchased my cc in July order the furrion camera on line it fit no problem. Took longer to set up the ladder. Lol.
BPD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

We also just purchased a Wildwood X-Lite and ordered the Furrion backup wireless observation camera and it did not match up either.

Called the dealer and forest river main support line and they said the Wildwood X-Lite is wired and mounted for the"Drive" CL-718W-C 7" TFT LCD (16:9) Wireless Rearview Backup Camera System".

You can fund it on the below link.
Way Interglobal Network, LLC - Store

None of the dealers I contacted had installed or used this camera so limited information.

I am planning on wiring the furion connector to the factory wiring.
Marine2149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

I ran into the same thing. Bought the Furrion camera on Amazon. Different bracket and plug than what was on the trailer. I also had to rewire it into the running lights so it wouldn't be powered at all times. Other than the hole already being drilled I pretty much had to do the entire installation over again. Not hard though. I think the factory is installing some knockoff stuff that isnt Furrion. Dunno
ronj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

I purchased a palomino truck camper thinking it had a backup camera installed. Wrong, just pre-wired for Furrion unit. Couldn't find any Canadian dealers who handled. Ended up purchasing a unit from North Trail RV in Fort Myers, Florida on holidays in March. Have yet to try it. Reviews I saw were good.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Some cameras are set up with more pins in harness to handle three different camera positions. Bought mine from RVS (rear view safety). Traded units and ordered a new harness it was set up for a single position camera. You could have a simular problem. My cable was already installed on my 5th wheel so I had to order a new harness for my truck.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #8

The furrion connector wiring matched up to the factory wiring also had to drill another screw hole for the furrion mount. Everything works perfect and install took about 10 minutes.
Marine2149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpaw View Post
We purchased a Wildwood X-Lite that is pre-wired for a backup camera.
We're informed that a Furrion backup observation camera is a good system and would work for our trailer.
Was told by dealer that we would just need to remove the cover on the mounting bracket and install the camera in it's place.
Ordered a Furrion backup wireless observation camera unit.
When I went to install it, the mounting bracket on the trailer was a different size than what the Furrion is (not compatible at all), plus the power cable on the trailer is a total different connection than for the Furrion.
Called Furrion support and was told that if our trailer had a Furrion bracket on it the it should fit without no problems. All their camera systems use the same bracket and power connection. He suggested that a different camera system other than Furrion was installed on our trailer.
Am going to call or go by dealer to see what the deal is. Camera units are not cheap.
Just checking to see if anyone else has ran into the situation.
I just installed the Furrion Observation Camera on my supposedly "pre-wired" Flagstaff Classic. The camera gasket was different than the original cover and nothing was pre-wired unless they really meant the wires to the middle running light were accessible. I just filled in the old screw holes. Happy with the camera so far.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Mine was wired for Furrion and dropped right in plug and play. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Forest River response

Thanks everyone for the responses. Sorry for the late update.
Finally got a response from Forest River and MY Wildwood X-Lite 254 RLXL is wired for a "Drive" CL-718W-C 7" TFT LCD (16:9) Wireless Rearview Backup Camera System manufactured by Way Interglobal Network.
Will be ordering it soon and will update on how the installation went.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Finally got a response from Forest River and MY Wildwood X-Lite 254 RLXL is wired for a "Drive" CL-718W-C 7" TFT LCD (16:9) Wireless Rearview Backup Camera System manufactured by Way Interglobal Network.

How did installation go? Just got mine in mail today.
Hercule73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #13

I would also like to know how the installation went if anyone can help. I tried installing mine today and I cannot figure it out. Looks like it will not fit in the mounting plate on the camper correctly. Kinda wish mine was prewired for the furrion. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
jsbr5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #14
32BHDS Wildwood

Trailer pre-wired for backup camera

My Furrion Camera did not fit the factory mount so here's what I did for my Wildwood 32BHDS.

1) Remove four black screws from factory mount.
2) Remove black (bat shaped) gasket. It's caulked on so be careful when pealing the gasket off.
3) Pull wire out of hole in RV far enough till the wire connectors come out.
4) Cut wire connectors off but remember which wires the black and red (camera) wires connect to. Gasket will now be free from the RV.
5) Carefully remove any excess caulk from where old gasket was.
6) Set new gasket that came with the Furrion camera kit centered over the factory hole in the RV. Make sure it looks centered below the running light and looks level with the siding.
7) Mark on the RV where the 4 holes in the new gasket will be and set gasket aside.
8) Carefully drill 4 new 1/8" holes but make sure you don't go too deep. One of the factory holes worked for me so I only had to drill 3 new holes. You just want to penetrate the siding, DO NOT DRILL TOO DEEP!
9) Cut new Furrion wire connector off so that it is about 5" long with the connector and stick it through the gasket.
10) Strip the RV wires and Furrion wires back about a 1/4" and use a crimp connector and crimp the wires together according to how they came off. Don't use a wire nut, it may loosen and fall off over time.
11) Silicone the back edge of the gasket and push the extra wire back into the hole in the RV and lightly press the new gasket in place while lining up the mounting holes.
12) Place black camera bezel over gasket and insert the four factory black screws. Don't over tighten the screws, just snug.
13) Nicely finger the caulk (that squeezes out from behind the gasket) all the way around the gasket. Clean up any excess caulk while it is still wet.
14) Remove black plug from new camera connector and plug in the new Furrion camera.
15) Push wires into bezel and fasten camera in place with the four tiny screws. Don't drop them....
16) Point antenna straight up (not back) and your ready to pair you device.
Note: My camera comes on when the Truck and Trailer are connected and the trucks headlights are on.

Hope this helps, I just did mine yesterday and camera works great.
BMattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #15

😉 Excellent narrative!
androclesandrocles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMattner View Post
My Furrion Camera did not fit the factory mount so here's what I did for my Wildwood 32BHDS.

1) Remove four black screws from factory mount.
2) Remove black (bat shaped) gasket. It's caulked on so be careful when pealing the gasket off.
3) Pull wire out of hole in RV far enough till the wire connectors come out.
4) Cut wire connectors off but remember which wires the black and red (camera) wires connect to. Gasket will now be free from the RV.
5) Carefully remove any excess caulk from where old gasket was.
6) Set new gasket that came with the Furrion camera kit centered over the factory hole in the RV. Make sure it looks centered below the running light and looks level with the siding.
7) Mark on the RV where the 4 holes in the new gasket will be and set gasket aside.
8) Carefully drill 4 new 1/8" holes but make sure you don't go too deep. One of the factory holes worked for me so I only had to drill 3 new holes. You just want to penetrate the siding, DO NOT DRILL TOO DEEP!
9) Cut new Furrion wire connector off so that it is about 5" long with the connector and stick it through the gasket.
10) Strip the RV wires and Furrion wires back about a 1/4" and use a crimp connector and crimp the wires together according to how they came off. Don't use a wire nut, it may loosen and fall off over time.
11) Silicone the back edge of the gasket and push the extra wire back into the hole in the RV and lightly press the new gasket in place while lining up the mounting holes.
12) Place black camera bezel over gasket and insert the four factory black screws. Don't over tighten the screws, just snug.
13) Nicely finger the caulk (that squeezes out from behind the gasket) all the way around the gasket. Clean up any excess caulk while it is still wet.
14) Remove black plug from new camera connector and plug in the new Furrion camera.
15) Push wires into bezel and fasten camera in place with the four tiny screws. Don't drop them....
16) Point antenna straight up (not back) and your ready to pair you device.
Note: My camera comes on when the Truck and Trailer are connected and the trucks headlights are on.

Hope this helps, I just did mine yesterday and camera works great.
Descriptive!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine2149 View Post
We also just purchased a Wildwood X-Lite and ordered the Furrion backup wireless observation camera and it did not match up either.

Called the dealer and forest river main support line and they said the Wildwood X-Lite is wired and mounted for the"Drive" CL-718W-C 7" TFT LCD (16:9) Wireless Rearview Backup Camera System".

You can fund it on the below link.
Way Interglobal Network, LLC - Store

None of the dealers I contacted had installed or used this camera so limited information.

I am planning on wiring the furion connector to the factory wiring.
HI! just wondering if you installed the Drive CL-718W-C system and how is it going? Just bought a Wildwood with same issue and disappointed the Furroin system wouldn't match up...looking for feedback- thank you!
newenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:

same issue here- hows it working?
newenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #19

"Drive" CL-718W-C 7" TFT LCD (16:9) Wireless Rearview Backup Camera System

No, I have not installed the camera yet. I've not had the chance. We put our trailer in for "Warranty Work (Funtime RV in Cleburn, Tx)" on May 31, after only having it for 4 month and having made 3 trips with it. We finally got it back on September 4th. Nothing major just minor things. We'd call and they'd say we have to get warranty work approval, then order parts, etc.
When they did say it was ready, the first time, we went to pick it up and everything was fixed except somehow they had blown the outside speakers. Long story short it took 3 weeks to repair the speakers with a lot of calling and complaining from us.
Not going to be able to make another trip until at least November and will have the camera in by then.

Know this should have been a different thread but wanted to get it off my chest.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglander View Post
HI! just wondering if you installed the Drive CL-718W-C system and how is it going? Just bought a Wildwood with same issue and disappointed the Furroin system wouldn't match up...looking for feedback- thank you!
Im wondering the same!
Usmarinecorps05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer