Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #21

Dragged a limb down the edge of my toy hauler and put tares in the edge of the roof. Just dropped it off Friday for repairs. The insurance company (GEICO) is paying to replace what is on the roof (the normal rubber roof). The RV repair shop is putting an RVArmor roof on. It is a spray on roof that is 3/16 inch thick and is guaranteed for life not to leak. This roof will cost about $2,000 less than the rubber roof replacement. Sure wish RV manufactures would wise up and get with the program.
rkwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwhite1 View Post
Dragged a limb down the edge of my toy hauler and put tares in the edge of the roof. Just dropped it off Friday for repairs. The insurance company (GEICO) is paying to replace what is on the roof (the normal rubber roof). The RV repair shop is putting an RVArmor roof on. It is a spray on roof that is 3/16 inch thick and is guaranteed for life not to leak. This roof will cost about $2,000 less than the rubber roof replacement. Sure wish RV manufactures would wise up and get with the program.
How much does it weigh? (compared to the stock roof)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
Well not the whole tree just a few limbs one was 6" in diameter. This just happened and there's rain on the way.
No major damage but put 20 plus tears in the roof material. The camper is a toy hauler 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 22RR Limited. All of the damage is in the rear section.

I put duck tape over the holes not what I wanted but all I had.

What would be good to put over the tears until I can have it repaired?

thanks
I had a similiar situation years ago with my camper that was only 2 years old, I had a 6" limb come down from a tree that punched a hole into the roof. to the point is the insurance company will demand a complete roof replacement to put the unit back to factory standards for warranty purposes.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #24

If you have not already, I don't suggest putting anything that will be difficult to remove and allow your insurance agent to see. A tarp should be fine and duct tape the edge of the tarp.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #25

After the temp repair. I would call fr. make an apt at the factory to have the roof replaced. I had a rear wall lk problem. Talked to several dealers. And FR. turned out to be cheaper to take it to the factory. No warranty from dealer but factory warranted the work. 2 days later we where back on the road. The stay out there was great.
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #26

Eternabond worked for me when a branch flew from a tree during a storm came through the skylight in the shower. The patch worked until I was able to get home and replace the dome. Carry eternabond all the time .
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Well not the whole tree just a few limbs one was 6" in diameter. This just happened and there's rain on the way.
No major damage but put 20 plus tears in the roof material. The camper is a toy hauler 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 22RR Limited. All of the damage is in the rear section.

thanks

As much as the forest service charges for camping there is absolutely NO maintenance done at these camp grounds. Last year we went and thought every tree was going to come down. ALL of the trees were half dead and dry. Chaps my hide!!!

American Leisure is one of the big leasee’s of these campgrounds.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Had to have my roof replaced from storm damage. The cost was 9,800. Insurance paid all but 500.00 deductible. Work was done at Camping World. They kept it 3 months.
Doesn't take 3 months to replace a roof. Should have been done in 3 days or so.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Gorilla tape will not hold up on a roof where wet and sun will effect it . it simply will not stick for very long in those conditions
Gorilla tape has failed me everytime. I recommend Eternabond for a much better repair. It's been on a large hole of my Trailer roof for 2 yrs without a leak.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:51 AM   #30

I feel your pain

Quote:

thanks
We suffered a similar situation in the early morning hours the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We had actually left our trailer at our second home R-Wild Horse Ranch, Platina, CA. Because it had started snowing and we were in my wife's car without proper snow equipment. ☹️. So early Wednesday morning we get the call for our friendly security staff with the news a branch fell on our trailer and maintenance staff was shutting off the gas ind taking photos to email me. But thought we might want to come cover it before the snow continued.

My son and I went back up with plastic, tarps and FlexTape. 4" & 8" wide and a 10' ladder. We dried off the area around the puncture holes and covered it with the 4" FlexTape, then on the siding we taped it down with the 8" FlexTape. It was too dark to get a good look at everything. So we checked into the motel at the ranch and woke up early Thanksgiving, to an additional foot of fresh snow, (very unusual for the Ranch like every 5 years). We cleared off the slideout and pulled iit in and then a tarp over the front.

Three weeks later week towed to the dealership (300 miles) FlexTape held like a champ! Damage total was $12,336.00. 2017 Wildwood 27RKSSTT. Fortunately my insurance company is covering all but the $100 deductible¡😬
bgoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #31

Thank you so much for all the info. I used the Eternabond tape for the temporary repair.

Insurance is sending an adjuster maybe today to look at it. Thinking I well go with the FlexArmor RV roof. Going to check it out. I couldn't believe how thin the roofing material is that they used on this camper.

Dennis
Dennis W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #32

Just had the same issue happen to me about 2 weeks ago. Just poured a new concrete parking spot for my 2011 Berkshire on the side of my barn in the fall. Had an ice storm; a 3" branch fell on the rear portion of the roof & smashed the rear AC unit cover & punched 6 holes into the fiberglass roof. One hole went right through the ceiling into the shower area. Used Eternabond tape on the holes & covered the AC unit with a cover. Ordered a new cover on line, waiting for it's arrival. Need to contact the insurance company and start the process. I really want a new roof put on the coach, too much money sitting below the roof!
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Call your insurance company and ask for their advice. it is their problem now
But you still need to help yourself and keep from getting water damage!

Like was said, take pics and put eterna bond over the cuts.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper