Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had a '98 Keystone "stick and tin" model that was less than a year old, and was hit while at the dealer for a warranty repair. A kid that was moving a motorhome backed into it breaking a rear side bunk window and denting 2 pieces of tin. Didn't seem like a big deal, until the dealer went to get the tin, which had painted stripes. Long story short, after 3 sets of tin on the back rear side, they ended up replacing the entire back side, which had a slide. The real kicker was that it didn't match the front side!! I had 2 different sides, similar, but different all the same. That dealer took a bath on that mistake!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
carl.net

That is a good point. When I take the unit in to get the final quote I will specify that if they cannot match the colors they need to paint the entire TT.

Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There was some reason why they couldn't paint the panels on mine. I think the paint might have been more of a powder coat, or at least undergone some type of curing process. As long as you have them by the short and curlies, get all you can.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
Oklahoma Proud

I believe that the reason that most will not paint the sheet metal trailer skins is because of the seams. I have been in the collision industry for many years and the only way you can paint butted ( or interlocking) panels is to seamseal the gap. The reason being that try as you might, you can not sand every crevis and if the paint does not have anything to "bite" into it will not adhear other than temporarly. Everybody has seen paint peel around door handles, moldings and such and that is the reason there as well. Also paint manuf. will not warranry their product unless the paint is run to the end of the panel (no butt painting, & removal of any attached parts) .

That said unless the panels come pre-painted, a good painter can tint the color to match. Also one side being discolored is better than three others peeling in a couple years.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
I believe that the reason that most will not paint the sheet metal trailer skins is because of the seams. I have been in the collision industry for many years and the only way you can paint butted ( or interlocking) panels is to seamseal the gap. The reason being that try as you might, you can not sand every crevis and if the paint does not have anything to "bite" into it will not adhear other than temporarly. Everybody has seen paint peel around door handles, moldings and such and that is the reason there as well. Also paint manuf. will not warranry their product unless the paint is run to the end of the panel (no butt painting, & removal of any attached parts) .

That said unless the panels come pre-painted, a good painter can tint the color to match. Also one side being discolored is better than three others peeling in a couple years.
What are you talking about? They don't sand stuff anymore... They have a soda blaster that would get nook and cranny... If the metal ships to them anodized or powder coated to a certain color it is less conducive to change that color.

Again, I reiterate my prior post... The structure had to have absorbed some of the force of impact... Your trailer is never going to be the same.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
Again, I reiterate my prior post... The structure had to have absorbed some of the force of impact... Your trailer is never going to be the same.
That was exactly my point as well. Just be alert for water intrusion in places other than the impact area. Every sealed seam has taken a twist and may now not be water tight.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #27

Sorry for the loss which at this time may look minor in nature but...
your unit is insured. Proceed through insurance, DO NOT take the cash pay out and get it fixed DO NOT have the Trash Company pay for the repairs... let the insurance commpany deal with the loss.

If you decide to keep it - then you have a recourse if later problems develop.

If you trade then it doesn't become your problem but rather someone elses.

Either way you may just end up being the "trailer trash", you've never wanted to be.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Sorry for the loss which at this time may look minor in nature but...
your unit is insured. Proceed through insurance, DO NOT take the cash pay out and get it fixed DO NOT have the Trash Company pay for the repairs... let the insurance commpany deal with the loss.
Why would the OP want his insurance rates to increase when the trash company is willing to pay for damages off the books?
There is nothing wrong with what he is doing.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

In our state we are "no fault" and if it was my camper; my insurance would pay anyway. They would then try to recover from the trash companies insurance.

A few things to think about:

If you did not notify your own insurance company of the accident at all and relied on the promise to pay from their insurance; you could be in for an even bigger wall of pain.

They could:

Jerk you around and never pay
Change their mind about it being their fault (insist you were parked wrong)
Insist you go to "their" fly by night repair shop to get it fixed (gum and wire)
Tell you to pay and they will reimburse you (and not give you all it cost).

Then after months of screwing around you go to your insurance and find out you are not covered because you failed to report the loss in a timely manner.

Just sayin...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #30

I think that he is implying that if more work is needed later, or that the work is inadequate, you would have recourse to re-open the claim and get more money to fix it (again). That may or may not be the case, depending on your carrier and your policy terms.

With taking the cash from the trash company (essentially settling this privately) they may consider it paid out and done. Also, depends on if they are paying up front to settle and you go have it repaired, or if they will pay the bill when it comes. Could be problematic if the final repair comes in higher than the initial estimate. Also, you may be trusting them that they will actually pay the bill when it comes due.

You could end up with a fight on your hands either way you go, so it's best to just proceed with what you are most comfortable with doing.