Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Why would the OP want his insurance rates to increase when the trash company is willing to pay for damages off the books?
There is nothing wrong with what he is doing.
From what I recount insurance companies generally look at an at fault party before they assess any claim increases.

Having the Insurance company to which the OP pays on a monthly or some sort of regular basis for damage coverage (natural causes, stupid persons runnign into the side, or negligence on the OP's behalf) getting involved as the party who is not at fault in the matter - would 99% assured not increase his insurance unless the State he lives in has no fault insurance of some weird clause.

I took an "I'll pay for the damages" lets not go through insurance because... plea once, never again.
I had to fix my car, waiting for them to pay the shop, then they denied liability, because they failed to report the incident to their insurance company.

I had 15 minutes after the accident reported it to mine. 6 months later I advised my insurance company that I was being yanked around by the at fault party they stepped in. I wnded up with additional claims for hidden damage which was not evident at the time of the impact.

Since the insurance company would see the interaction not as a claim against his policy but in support of his policy against a party.

Smarts means that you don't have to test putting your finger in a light socket to see if you will get a shock - after your brother has just done it.

Stupidity is thinking it somehow will be a different outcome while he is still fealing the pain from doing it just before you try the same.

I'm not calling anyone stupid or smart for that matter, just saying that Lessons Learned from others misfortune may save the OP a heartache or a pain in the ***** later on when it all goes south and the Trash company says hey we fixed it didn't we?

Hate to see the OP not look at all advise, failing to be educated and end up

Essentially what HERK and Wincrasher said while I was typing this entry. Gr8 minds think alike (some say fools seldom differ) 2 sides to every coin.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
carl.net

This has been a fun and very educational discussion which shows why forums like this are very valuable. Since there is a lot of speculation going on I will provide an update. I called my insurance agent to get advice a few days ago and he suggested I continue on my path of working it through the other guys insurance. Essentially the guy that hit me is on camera doing it and I have pictures of his paint in the dent and his truck with my paint. There is zero question who did it, so neither I nor my insurance agent are concerned about him trying to skip out on the claim.

The guy who hit me has called his insurance company to start the process and we are now waiting on his insurance company to assign an adjuster. My understanding is that after the adjuster takes a look I will need to get three quotes to fix it. If during the process of fixing the trailer more issues are found an adjusted claim will be submitted and the extra will be covered.

In short, I will get back a trailer that appears to be fixed after wasting a good bit of my time. Maybe I should charge the guy who hit me my hourly rate for the time out of my schedule this takes to get fixed… Grin.

Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #33
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
"trailer trash",
I resemble this comment... Big grin.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender