Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

TT Stolen

Hey all, just thought I would throw this out there. I tried to search it first but came up with nada. We recently had our Freedom Express 292 BHDS stolen and at this point, has not been recovered. Since the police are not actively looking for it or don't even care, I am wondering if anyone uses a GPS Tracking system in their unit? If so, what brand? Monthly cost?
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
Hey all, just thought I would throw this out there. I tried to search it first but came up with nada. We recently had our Freedom Express 292 BHDS stolen and at this point, has not been recovered. Since the police are not actively looking for it or don't even care, I am wondering if anyone uses a GPS Tracking system in their unit? If so, what brand? Monthly cost?
SPOT Trace Product

I use a SPOT GPS tracker for rescue services when I ATV or snowmoble in the backcountry. I've been happy with them as a provider and I'm sure their theft tracker would work just as well though I don't use one.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #3

There are several options out there for gps and rf theft recovery systems. Most gps units will cost around 200 or so for the unit and monthly service can range drastically depending on your ping rate or ability of the tracker, i.e. the device will ping every 5 secs or once every 24 hours.

Lojack is another option, one time fee and the unit is yours for the life of it. I have never seen one on a travel trailer but that doesnt mean anything.

With either type of device, it will need an external battery supply, there are internal back up batteries but you might only get a couple days on it.
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Putting a chain on the wheels? Lock for the hitch/ball part? How did it get stolen?
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

In the old days, some guys would paint large black numbers on top of their Motorhomes so the police helicopters could easily locate them if stolen.

I have known it to work once.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

Buy (or repurpose) an old smart phone. As long as the phone has power and is connected to the network, you can track it using the FindMyFriends (or similar) app. In the app, you can set up a push notification to text you if the device leaves the current location. Cost is around $10-$15 per month on most family plans.

Lo-Jack will work on an RV, but has a limited service range. Satellite-based systems are the most reliable, but are also the most expensive for mostly monitoring. The cell-based tracker is almost as good and a lot less expensive.
saltsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

I kinda wish someone would steal mine, then I could get a new camper, truck too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I kinda wish someone would steal mine, then I could get a new camper, truck too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
That's kinda what I was thinking. Ha. I've never heard I'd a TT being stolen. Some dumb crook. he's probably trying to sell it on Craig's list right now. Don't want to disrespect the OP in any way however. I'm sure I'd be very shocked if I came back to my campsite or home and the TT was gone.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking. Ha. I've never heard I'd a TT being stolen. Some dumb crook. he's probably trying to sell it on Craig's list right now. Don't want to disrespect the OP in any way however. I'm sure I'd be very shocked if I came back to my campsite or home and the TT was gone.
They're not always stolen for the money, as many are made into mobile meth labs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1320625

http://www.meth-kills.org/meth-lab.html

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...ed-bank/85544/

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...bs-1886980.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:25 AM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Some sort of GPS tracker and paint numbers on top. I know the numbers on top helped recover a stolen Airstream in the Charlotte area several years ago. It showed up in a traffic jam on the helicopter report.

Many thieves are opportunists, they will steal anything, anywhere, anytime for no real reason. The harder you make it for them to steal the more likely they are to move on.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote