Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

TV

I have DirecTV HD that I use the HDMI from receiver to TV in the living area for the best picture. My problem is when I hook up an extra TV to the RV outside cable the picture is not very good. What can i do to make the picture better on the other TV.

Thank you in advance for your help.
diamondjindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjindustries View Post
I have DirecTV HD that I use the HDMI from receiver to TV in the living area for the best picture. My problem is when I hook up an extra TV to the RV outside cable the picture is not very good. What can i do to make the picture better on the other TV.

Thank you in advance for your help.
I am confused and unsure how to help you.

When you are using the outside TV are you talking about watching the Direct TV out there or the Roof Antenna? Photos are always helpful in these situations.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #3

I have a hook up on the outside that is factory installed so that a TV can be used outside. This hookup is a cable port on the side of the RV. Yes I can watch DirecTV or the roof antenna. when watching DirecTV I do not turn on the Antenna booster.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

are u feeding the tv output from the direct tv receiver into the tv/cable jack on ur inside wall plate?
looks like that would work. u may need to put a small amplifier between dtv output and the cable/tv wall plate to overcome the loss going thru a splitter and the coax run length.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Thanks I will check on this
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
are u feeding the tv output from the direct tv receiver into the tv/cable jack on ur inside wall plate?
looks like that would work. u may need to put a small amplifier between dtv output and the cable/tv wall plate to overcome the loss going thru a splitter and the coax run length.
Not to mention what is going on inside the electronic switch.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

I think the voltage that is present on the TT's factory installed cable because of the booster/amplifyer is interfering with the output from the sat. receiver. Even though the booster is not on, it is not a true "pass through" cable. If you haven't tried it already, hook up a cable directly from the receiver to the TV you are using outside.

Keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

That is what I thought too.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Thanks I will
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

the amplifier is in the antenna. voltage is supplied to the ant from the "wall plate switch". there should be no DC voltage present at the tv jack or the outside cable hookup.
it would depend on how they are making that switch inside the wall plate. he apparently is getting something to feed back thru. in his case, it sounds like a small amp would clear up the outside picture. when i tried back feeding today, i did not have success.
what i did install today (in abt 15 minutes) was an audio/video and ir remote transmitter from the sat receiver. took a little trial and error setting up but it is working fine. the other side of this is a receiver that feeds the signal to the other tv and an ir emitter takes care of the control.
dish network has receivers that have rf over the air outputs that can be received by another tv. uhf remote control is used for control. direct tv may have a similar system available.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Jim, you are correct when you say there is no DC voltage on the "TV 1/2" output F-81 connectors and the Park Cable input F-81 connector since the DC power needed by the Roof mounted amp is shot up the roof antenna feed only.

That being said, the power switch serves another function besides turning on the roof amp. It also electronically switches the inputs to the TV1 and TV2 outputs. That circuitry could be the interference being experienced.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Jim, you are correct when you say there is no DC voltage on the "TV 1/2" output F-81 connectors and the Park Cable input F-81 connector since the DC power needed by the Roof mounted amp is shot up the roof antenna feed only.

That being said, the power switch serves another function besides turning on the roof amp. It also electronically switches the inputs to the TV1 and TV2 outputs. That circuitry could be the interference being experienced.
i would have to see a schematic or tare into it to see how they are doing it. i'm looking at the switch as switching between the park and ant. the output of this switch being fed into a splitter: one output of the splitter fed to tv1 at the plate and the other fed to tv 2. if this is the case, the output of the splitter should be able to be used as a feed to go to the other set.
if it is going thru a switch (a ppt circuit comes to mind on a cb), the signal won't back down that.
in his case, he had the signal and needed a better signal. an amplifier placed between the dtv output should upgrade the signal. i'm thinking that the output from the dtv receiver is not great enough to overcome the distance plus a splitter.

in my case, i did not want to loose the ability to use the ant so i chose an external wireless transmission system (~$50) that would transmit the audio, video, and ir signal to a second tv. that set could be moved around.

for a greater expense, dtv has equipment that will combine the ant and dtv feed (between dish and sat receiver) and another device that will strip of the conventional antenna signal at the set.

my first suggestion to diamondjindustries should have been to check his connections: make sure cables are making good contact and tight. then go from there. it sounded like he had an outside connection factory installed for the purpose of adding another tv. i'm hoping that he wasn't referring to the park connection.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I got the impression (maybe wrong) that he was using the Park Cable connection as an output to feed his TV.
If he is not, you are 100% correct.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #14

I found a IR system at radoi shack it works great.

Thanks