Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

TV antenna

I've got a 2008 Work and Play. Since I purchased it 3 years ago the antenna has not worked. The TV would pick up local channels wherever we camped but the picture always froze up every few seconds - unwatchable. I pulled the antenna off the roof mount and, as I read somewhere afterwards, the cable was very short and pulled out of the antenna. Back inside the trailer, the picture and freezing did not change at all. The antenna had no effect on the TV. I took the TV in the house and hooked it up to cable TV and it works fine. Trailer is now in storage so I don't know what brand name but it is whatever FR uses. My question is, is there a different brand replacement antenna that fits the FR mount? Anyone had the similar problem and found a suitable solution?

Thanks.
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

TV antenna

Did you turn on the amplifier when you raised the antenna ? (little green light on) It's a tiny button often not easy to see. Without that booster on you will likely get poor or no reception.

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

Usually near the wall plate in the camper where the cable plugs in there is a TV amplifier button which should be on for over the air broadcasts. Is that on and shining green?. Did you check the cable behind the wall plate to be sure its connection is good?

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Sorry, I should have included that info in my post. I have checked that all connections were hooked up and that the amplifier was on. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

It is possible that you have a staple or a screw run thru the cable, I suggest you undo each end and do a continuity test.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #6

Do you have the Omni Directional Saucer type antenna? Mine has never worked very good. I have not done anything about it because I pretty much watch Sat. I want to replace it with a Jack antenna but reluctant with the roof structure of the Work and Play for mounting an antenna (roof aluminum over thin luan) there are metal roof trusses but no plywood to screw into...
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

yes, it is the saucer type. I thought I read somewhere that these antennas were not very good, even when new. I was hoping that someone had found something to replace it with that might use the factory mount so, as 1l243 said, wouldn't have to mess with the roof.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

I am thinking of spanning between the roof trusses with a piece of aluminum for support then adding a Jack antenna...
Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #9

Update on my antenna. My 2011 Work and Play came with a Winegard Roadstar RS 1500 omni directional antenna. It has never really worked. I pulled off the antenna and checked the power and it was getting power. I decided to replace the antenna with the same unit that way I would not have to change the mounting hardware. I had to track down the 1500 because they don't sell that model anymore. Now its the Winegard RS 3000. I found a RS 1500 on Amazon and orderd it...They sent me a RS 3000. Sent it back and they said they would send out the 1500 right away..They sent another RS 3000. Finially gave up on Amazon and found a RS 1500 on EBAY... It came in today. I did not have to change the mount post(good thing) hooked it up and got 10 channels. 1 analog and 9 Digital. Before I got nothing... Keep in mind I am about 30 miles from the nearest over air transmission with plenty of mountains.

Took the old antenna apart and found that it must have took a hit at one time because the inside antenna rings had come loose and were rattling around inside the saucer. Plus, the body was cracked. It must have came that way because I know for a fact I never have hit anything with it.

The difference between the RS 1500 and RS 3000 is the mounting post and shape. The RS 1500 bolts on to the post and the RS 3000 snaps on with a "click" The 1500 post will not work with the 3000.

Anyway happy now. only took me five years to fix this...
RS 1500 (I only paid about half this price)

Winegard RS1500 Omnidirectional TV Antenna (RS1500) - Rakuten.com

RS 3000
Winegard RS3000 Roadstar Omnidirectional TV Antenna (RS-3000) from Solid Signal
Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #10

Did you have enough cable to work with or did you have to run new? I will go to storage unit tomorrow to get model number on my toy hauler. How did you open the old antenna? I didn't see any way to get it apart except to pry it apart at the seam and was afraid it would destroy it. At that time I needed to put it back in place so didn't pursue it any farther. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

The cable is extreamly short and actually pulled off the fitting on the antenna. There was only a few inches of slack in the coax. Just enough for me to add a new RG fitting. I made a new 6" long coax that I fastened to the new antenna and then fastened that to the old coax... Then pushed it down into the mounting post when putting the new antenna back on. I bought the RG crimping and stripping tool with waterproof connectors at home depot...

There is a small circuit board inside the antenna. The body just prys apart and snaps back together. BUT when the two halves come apart the pins that hold the aluminum rings in place may alllow the rings fall out of posistion...
Old 02-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #12

I disected my old antenna to show you how it looks and comes apart. You don't want to use a screw driver more like a wide stiff putty knife. Start at one of the catches and work your way around. I marked in red where the catches are. You can see my old dish was pretty beat up on the inside. It took a hit and the case cracked. The aluminum rings were rattling around and touching each other. The duct tape you see is to hold the rings in place when I took it apart the first time. The rings want to slip out of posistion.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

I went to the toy hauler today and found that I have the 1500. Found one on eBay and it will be here first of the week. Hope I have as much success as you did 1l243. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

1. Test for 12 volts at Coax with power button on.
2. Get yourself a RG connector crimping stripper tool
3. More than likely you will need to make a short coax about 6" long to screw into the antenna. Long enough so it will stick down lower than the antenna tube.
4. You will also need a coax connector to fasten the two coax's together...
5. You may need a tool to tighten the coax inside the antenna tube. I just taped off the connector with metal tape so it would not turn. Then I just treaded the short coax onto the antenna by turning the cable.. (you will see what I am talking about when you take it apart)..
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

I got the antenna this week but I'm going to wait until it warms up to install it. Thanks for the info and suggestions and I'll update when I get it done.

Tags
antenna