Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #1

Tv antenna wiring

Having trouble with antenna getting any tv channels, understand how the booster works, this is a new problem. Decided to run coax direct from antenna to booster through the door and i have channels. But when i connect antenna to coax going through the roof, not one channel. Believe it could be a bad connect in the wiring from the roof to the booster location. Any ideas on how to get at those connections? 2012 Surveyor SV 305. Thank you
9635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

TV cabling inside trailers is done by aliens, late at night. Where they go is a mystery to all owners.

Often you have to tone out each run to see if continuity exists. Sometimes the cabling is different colors and you can pull out the connector plates to look behind and see if same color comes out where it should. I did that and figured mine out....mostly.

But it does sound like a continuity problem. Loose connections maybe. Wrong connections maybe. It's a PITA, but you have to run it all down. My last camper, I just ran a flat coax through the window, also.........and of course that worked when nothing else would.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

Check the wire that comes through the roof. The center wire in the coax was broken inside the connection. Redid the coax end and all was good. Only other to do, is pull amp plate and check connections there.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I have pulled the amp plate to check those connections and tightened those. I am guessing the problem is between the roof and the amp plate. Any idea what I'm going to find under the roof connection once I get the roof caulk peeled off? Is there a connection just under the roof plate?
Thank you,
9635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

My ant. connection was outside the roof, but there is an access cover on the roof where the wire comes out. Maybe your connection is under the ant. itself. I am not sure how all rvs are, but this is how mine is.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

You could have a defective splitter some where in the trailer that splits the coaxial cable from the antenna. The antenna usually has just one wire form the outside connection into the roof and than depending on where the booster switch is, there will be a splitter sending a signal to the 2nd TV on another coaxial cable. This could have failed and be the source of your issues. Another thought is your Booster plate/switch may have failed. Have you checked behind the plate to see if the wiring connection has not failed?
Here is a wiring diagram for my Cedar Creek, but this may or may not help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WF-745 CedarCreek PowerSupply[1].pdf (495.6 KB, 94 views)

Tags
antenna, wiring