Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #1

TV engine oil additive

Anybody use oil additives like slick 50?I thought about using some kind due to higher RPM when towing.Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Slick 50 has teflon in it. Also any aditive will void your engine warranty. having said that, I used SFR corp synthic additive for years (I am a distributer) made in butte Montana for the logging truckers. It has the protection your looking for when starting the engines. But, For my new cars I have gone to Valvoline Synthetic that has a warranty for 300,000 miles. And it doesn't void the new car warranty.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
Slick 50 has teflon in it. Also any aditive will void your engine warranty. having said that, I used SFR corp synthic additive for years (I am a distributer) made in butte Montana for the logging truckers. It has the protection your looking for when starting the engines. But, For my new cars I have gone to Valvoline Synthetic that has a warranty for 300,000 miles. And it doesn't void the new car warranty.
Question about Synthetic oil, I am sure this Is something that should be used If one tows a lot but, what If you don't like maybe 4 or 5 times during the camping season?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

I run syn oil in every ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) I own, vehicles, lawn mower, tiller, chain saw....... My preference is Amsoil but IMO any syn oil is good to go. That being said..... A good quality dyno oil is good to go (Rotella T is my preference) as long as you follow recommended changing intervals. I can just go longer with syn.

My wife's car has 189k+ miles on it and we change the oil ever 25k miles or 1 year per Amsoil specs with stock filter changes at 3k as Amsoil doesn't make a filter for her Saturn. This car does not burn a bit of oil and I only top off about a 1/4 cup of oil when changing the filters.

My truck has been running Amsoil with a bypass filtration system for over 120k miles. Filters get changed every 20k along with an oil test about 2 weeks prio to the change to verify the oil is G2G. Top off consists of a schosh over 3 qts of oil after changing the 2 filters. It burns about 1/2 quart of oil ever 5k miles but I can live with that. I just did a complete oil change 10k miles ago after 110k miles on the same oil (which tested good) because I needed to replace the drain plug gasket as I was getting an annoying drip from it.

I don't care to start a debate just stating what works for me.

YMMV
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Team

IMO you do not need any additives and benefits, if any, are minimal. Dino oils have improved significantly in the last 10 years. Synthetics are still better but the gap between syn and dino is much smaller than it used to be.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

AMSOIL all day...nothing more / nothing less in all my vehicles.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #7

aingotnun,
have you ever made a cost comparison of changing dino oil and filter every 3k mi to changing synthetic oil every 25k and filter every 3k?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
aingotnun,
have you ever made a cost comparison of changing dino oil and filter every 3k mi to changing synthetic oil every 25k and filter every 3k?
doing this from memory so please forgive any out there numbers.......

Dino $3-6 a quart
Amsoil $8-9 a quart

Roughly 8 oil changes for 25k miles @ $16 for oil each dino change $128.
Amsoil $36 for one change + a bit for shipping so round up to $40. (yes shipping looks low but I buy in bulk so it works out to around $4 or less for one gallon). Then add maybe another $8 total for the 1/4 cup top offs at filter changes..

The filters are a wash ($3.50 each) as they have to be changed every 3k miles anyway. I don't count that but if you wanted to add another $30 or so after tax to each situation.

Add to that, I don't have to crawl under the car but once a year.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #9

I figure as long as you run at least what the engine manufacture requires you'll be okay. When was the last time you heard of someone needing an engine rebuild because they ran "cheap oil"?

For those that groove on viscosity and love the idea of bathing all that metal in the perfect mixture of dead dinosaurs and modern chemistry, I offer the following link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
The filters are a wash ($3.50 each) as they have to be changed every 3k miles anyway.
I wasn't under the impression that the filter needed changed every 3k miles, per BMW specifications on my car, they require the use of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, changed every 15k, or annually, but they say nothing of changing the filter in between the oil changes.