Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

TV Install

Our used Salem Le we purchased last summer never had a tv installed in it. I am thinking of putting one in for those possible rainy days. There is a location on the inside of the ceiling that has a sticker that shows where to drill to put up an antenna. I am guessing there is some sort of reinforcement in that area of the roof to be able to hold the antenna. The shelve where the tv would normally sit has a 120v receptacle and a plate with a male coax connector sticking out of it. I took the plate off and there is a cable hooked up to the plate inside the wall. I am not sure where the other end of the cable is located? Do you think it is located at the point in the ceiling that is marked where to drill for the antenaa? Common sense tells me it should be there, but after reading some of the posts on here common sense might not apply here. Has anyone had to add an antenna their TT which had the tv cable end already there? Has anyone tried to get a wiring diagram for a used TT (2005) from Forest River? It would be nice to see what is prewired in the unit.
Thanks for any replies..

Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

most likely if it is just a coax cable and no button for the signal booster, it goes to an outside 'park cable' connection. there might be a cable in the roof. I took apart a 79 prowler and there was the mark on the roof for an antennae and there was extra plywood there and the end of a coax 2 wire cable (old school cable).

I would recommended lots and lots of sealing agent when you put in the new antennae though. last thing you want is an internal leak in the roof!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

If the other end does go to a "park cable" connection, where could that possibly be located. Would it be located on the same side of the trailer that the hook ups are found? Wishing I had a wiring diagram..
Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #4

by now, hopefully u have ur answer.
one way i would try and trace coax is to short out one end then use a ohm meter and see what ends located elsewhere had 0 ohms on it. then i would remove the short and see if end preveously found went open. i would then have my wire.
hopefully, near the antenna, there should be two lines: one goes between the amp and the antenna; the other goes between the amplifier and the tv. the outside connection to the park will connect to this one.
my guess, if ur finding only one cable and don't have an amp (no reason to put one in if tv ant isn't installed) ur cable is just for external cable.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #5

Its been a awhile since I removed the plate, if I remember right there was only one cable. The problem is finding out where the other end is located. I haven't found any cable connections anywhere on the exterior of the trailer. Fun stuff...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

then it is probably in the roof.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

I'm thinking the same.
Thanks so much for your replies and help..
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

There is a handy tool to get that we use in the communications business. We call it a toner, some call it a "Fox and Hound". You have a small box with 3 wires on it (one black with an alligator clip, one red with an alligator clip, and one phone cord type wire and plug). The other part is a small wand. You clip the red wire to the center conductor of the coax and clip the black wire to the outside of the connector, turn the unit to "tone". Place the wand near the connections you just made and you should hear the tone. Now you can pass the wand against the wall, ceiling, floor, pretty much where ever you think the wire being tested may be and if you're close you will hear the tone. I have seen a "homeowner" level type at Home Depot in the electrical department. I use a commercial type which is considerably more expensive (~$150). I'm thinking the homeowner grade was ~$50. It works on phone lines, DE-ENERGIZED electrical wires, coax, etc. I keep one in my work van and another in my TV tool bag.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Villa Estate 392FLFB

very neat tool!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

I will have to keep my eyes open for one of those "toner's". I can see where one could come in pretty handy.

Once again thanks for your input, you can't beat this forum for the info/ help it's member's provide..