Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

TV interference

Took delivery of a 2010 2501SS (had a Roo 23ss but couldn't deal with the tent ends - too noisy). Love the 2501SS floorplan with the Murphy bed and the large bathroom! Been out about 4 times since getting it August 1. Have found a few interesting things. One was the pinging sound from the propane tanks that I've seen other posts on...will talk with the dealer about it (was when hot water tank and sidekick grill were both on).

The one that bugs me most is the that if you have the TV on and turn the exhaust fan over the range on, the picture on the TV freezes (much like a satellite feed sometimes does). When you turn the fan off, the picture unfreezes and starts again until you turn the fan back on. Going to ask the dealer also, but wondered if anyone has experienced this?
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

Sounds like a battery drain issue to me but not sure you didnt says if you was plugged in or not because both of those are 12V system users
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

So, it is when it is plugged in. The TV that came with the rig is a large flat panel and only works on 110V, so no TV when not hooked to shore power Talked with the dealer and he thought it might be that we were on the verge area of a weak signal and to try it where there is a strong signal. So, did it where the unit is stored (middle of town) and still did it. He thinks the fan motor creates enough RFI that it messes things up. May have to ask for a replacement fan to see if that helps.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

In our old trailer whenever we used the bath exhaust and the TV was on it threw interference and the picture would get snowy. It didn't matter if it was on the antenna or park cable. I wonder if the antenna booster has anything to do with it since the cable to the tv runs through it whether on or off? Both are 12 volt powered!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Those little cheapie exhaust fans do create a lot of noise both in
the audible range and the radio frequency range.
I don't really think you're going to get a lot of relief.
How often/long do you run the stove exhaust??

Now if our Maxxair roof fan was messing with the TV that would
be bad but it does not seem to do that.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #6

Well, don't get a good signal unless the booster is in the on position. And yes, the fan is loud...much louder than the one in my Roo 23ss that I just sold. I don't run it that much, only when when doing something on the stove top that may create a little smoke that inevitably sets off the smoke detector! And no, the Fantastic Fans don't interfere with it...thank goodness! So, I will probably live with it...just wondered if others had experienced it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #7

Try a Ferrite Core

You might try a ferrite core (available at radio shack or other electronics parts stores) on the wires feeding power to the fan. These cores are often used to reduce electrical interference between electric components and ham radio equipment. The core is a little round black thing with a hole in the middle. You sometimes see them inside computers. Radio Shack sells some that snap around the wire. 73...popupcop.
popupcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #8

I have the same issue. Infact, when we turn on the vibrate function on our baby's bouncer seat, it happens too. It's because of the frequency range.
derekrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #9

tomjsas, do you have the winegard wingman accessory for the antenna yet? We were getting digital "freezes" so often on some channels, it really was unwatchable! You didn't say whether or not you tried moving the antenna around, or not. I tried this, and it helped a little, but the wingman accessory is a breeze to install, and is around 25 to 30 bucks, and worked wonders for me, and several others on here. I highly recommend it! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #10

Thanks...i had moved the antenna a bit and it helped some. Noticed that the water pump does it too, but to a much lesser extent. I've been looking at the wingman and will probably get one and install while I'm putting the cover on this winter.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
I've been looking at the wingman and will probably get one and install while I'm putting the cover on this winter.
Why wait.
It's a 5 minute job requiring no tools.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

Are you on 12v power when this occurs? Also, do you have the signal booster on? It's a little green light with a push button by the input jacks area of the entertainment center. It makes a pretty big difference. As far as 12v goes, the more things you turn on takes away power from the signal booster and the TV, therefore weaker signal=digital freezes. We camp dry a lot also, and noticed this. Hope this helps a little! Randy
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #13

Randy...thanks. I was plugged in to 30amp service. My TV won't operate otherwise (only 110v) and I did have the booster on. Agreed, that makes a huge difference, otherwise I don't get much of a signal. The tech at my dealer thougth much of it could be that I was on the edge of signal strength and that was the isssue. However, with the Roo I just got rid of in July I didn't have the problem. Now I was using an HD converter box with that TV since it was older. The new 2501ss has a HDTV and it works without the converter box. I have also not tried the converter box...lent it to a friend with an older motorhome. This coming weekend we will be at a park with full hookups. Anxious to see if I get the same thing while hooked to cable TV versus just using the antenna.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #14

Some of the 40.00 coupon digital converter boxes also have a signal booster built in, as well. I have an Apex booster for our bedroom TV/DVD. It has the booster in it, and works excellent- actually picked up 2 more stations than the cabin TV.....off of the same antenna, and still in the same direction! Randy
Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #15

Update - our last trip out over the weekend was to a full hookup CG. Had cable TV hookup and no interference when the fan was on. So, believe that part of it is the weak signal issue. Will add the Wingman to the antenna this coming weekend and see if that makes a difference and also look at a ferrite on the fan electrics. Thanks to all for your inputs!