Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

TV mount

Im wanting to mount a 22" tv on a articlating locking mount, I like this one Moview: WSSL Single Swing Arm Mount w/ Lock but how can you mount it to the wall? My RV a 2004 FR Wildwood (California) has studs in the wall but I dont know what size they are and wonder if they will hold such weight. Any suggestions on how to make this work or any other ideas?
hldurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be careful here or your tv may be permanently mounted to
The garbage can.

I would get in touch with the factory for an exact location.
Your tv viewing experience depends on it!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

There's a much better deal on mounts here. I would drill a pilot hole somewhere not noticeable in the wall to test its strength then hang the mount when your happy. If you still have concerns you can always take the TV down when traveling.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

What hldurham is talking about is a special articulating mount that has a strap that you pull on to release the arm from the wall when it is in its storage/locked position. Mor/ryde also makes one. (CW sells one but it is j*nk.)

You definitely must have the mount attched into studs. I would suggest fastening a piece of 3/4" wood approx. 18"x18" to the studs in multiple spots. I'd say at least three #8 screws on each stud (vertically). You want to try and get the screws to penetrate into the studs as far as possible (if wood) and being no closer than say 1/4" to the exterior skin. If aluminum studs, then you need to use appropriate sheet metal screws. Under no circumstances attempt to hang the mount off just the interior plywood wall. I'm not sure if there is a "standard" spacing for studs but the ones in our TT are about 15-16" apart (they vary). They're easy to find with a stud finder.

To confirm exactly what length of screws should work in the wall you want to mount to, look inside a cabinet that has screws holding into a wall and remove one to see how long it is. Subtracting the thickness of the wall finish and 1x1" (3/4" actual) pieces of wood attaching the cabinetry to studs will give you the safe penetration length of the screws. On this also, I'm not sure if there is an industry standard stud thickness and would rather measure what you have.

I would attach the mount to the wood piece first with through bolts and nylock nuts and then the wood to the wall. You have to think about the weight of your TV + mount. For your setup, it could be around 30 lbs.

I saw the Moview mount at an RV show. While it's an impressive piece of engineering design, it seems to be overly complicated for what it does and it's going to be heavier.

From what I have seen to date, most RV manufacturers and dealers that are installing TVs on articulating mounts are just using velcro straps. It's simple, it looks fine and it holds the TV on very snug. In this case, you can buy an ordinary articulating mount from anyone. I bought ours from www.videosecu.com because they have a good selection and good tech. data. I would also suggest buying a mount that has two arms that attach to the wall and then goes into one arm like the one shown below. The reason being that when the arms are fully extended, there is a lot of weight at the end of the arm and some of the mounts have too much excess play in the joints and the TV does not stay aligned when extended out. Two arms are inherently better/stronger.

I would in any event go with f1100turbo's suggestion to check with the factory.

ps: apologies if this seems like verbal diarrhea....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV mount.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	12539  
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tv mount