Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
under rated leaf spings?

About 1 1/2 years ago I had our 30F TT tires upgraded after blowing a couple of D rated Carlisle tires. Now after about 4,000 miles on the much better E rated 10ply Denman tires, I noticed that 3 out of the 4 tires have uneven wear on them. In fact one of them look like is starting to separate inside. After many hours of researching tire wear and axle alignment, I came to the conclusion that the axles were out of alignment. My brother in law, a top notch welder with over 25 years of experience, which include building trailers, came by the the house and made all kinds of measurements. After inspecting everything he told me that the components for the axles were welded in the proper locations and the axles were straigth in relation to one another. The only thing that was off was the distance between the tires from one side to the other. The tires on the left side were closer together than the tires on the right, by over 3/4 inch. After further inspection he noticed that the springs on the left side were flatter than the ones on the right, therefore causing the tires on that side to come closer together. A very good local bussiness called Texas Trailers confirmed this. They also told me that the leaf springs on the unit were under rated for the size and weight of the unit, so with the added weight of the two slides on the left, those springs were flattening out a lot more than they should. Anyway, their advice was to have all 4 springs changed to the next weight rating. I'm sorry about such a long post, but I wanted to explain the situation as clear as possible. Also, I would love to hear if anybody else in here has had this happen or even heard about this type of problem, specially Cherokee 30F owners.

2007 Forest River Cherokee 30F
* 14K Equal-i-zer hitch
* TST tire pressure monitor
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Good info Rafcar. Perhaps they used the same springs Toyota used on all their trucks and Forunners throughout the 90s Never seen on that doesn't sag butt after a while. Springs can also be re-arched by a good shop but I suspect replacing them with higher capacity springs would be your best bet.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote