Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Under-Seat Storage

During our first outing in June, we were learning all the storage cubbies available around the RV, and my spacial-relationship brain informed me that there SHOULD be a bunch of unused space under the dining benches. I took the cushions off, and after prying up on the (very flimsy) plywood seats, I worked-loose the staples that held it in place. Lo-and-behold, there was a large, empty space under each seat, and no built-in way to get to it. I've searched pictures since then, and have seen both hinged doors on the side of the seat, and toybox-style hinges on the seats themselves that allow the seat to be lifted for access.

Question is, did Forest River just "forget" to give access to this space in my RV? Does anyone else have a similar model, and if so, does YOURS have storage under the seats?

- Geek

Read my weekly Computers & Technolgy Q&A feature It's Geek To Me!
NWF Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #2

I've seen a couple of different ways to provide pretty easy access. First is as you've learned, remove the cushions and then pull the thin plywood seat out. I've typically seen a finger access hole bored through the plywood seat.

On our latest trailer, we have the first plus an access door at the end of each seat.

I've never seen the seat plywood under the cushion nailed/stapled in place ---- sounds like somebody goofed during manufacture to me.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

Probable a goof up. What model trailer is it? Could probable add a couple hinges, and drill a finger hole. If new, dealer might be able to correct it, or they may have ordered it that way to shave $5 off the sticker price.
Roganravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

It's the one in my signature - 2006 Wildwood LE 28FKSS.

I've thought from the moment I discovered the extra storage that I'd add a finger-hole and a piano hinge to each bench. Also been thinking about toy chest lifters. Was just wondering if anyone else has found that the storage space under the seats wasn't made accessible by the manufacturer. It's a rather cheap upgrade for the available storage -- I guess our model just didn't come with it.

-Geek

Read my weekly Computers & Technolgy Q&A feature It's Geek To Me!
NWF Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage