Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Unknown Substance Identification

I found numerous droplets and streaks of something white across the back of the Furrion tv but nothing on the front. I actually had the same thing last spring. I have thoroughly searched around and can't find it anywhere else.

I have checked all of the wires, radio mounted below, counter below, wall, ceiling, door seals, bunk canvas, EVERYTHING else is clean and dry. No dropplets or white stuff appears anywhere else in the trailer. Last spring I wiped it off and nothing until now. The tv works fine.

The 21SS was purchased new in late 2014. Spring of 2017 was the first this happened and it wasn't there last week. The trailer is stored outside and was closed up tight. There was no condensation in the trailer. There are no drips during heavy rains.

I can't think of anything else to check so I'm curious to hear other ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180227_113414.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	163615  
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Some kind of mold/fungus/mildew?
Kenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #3

The TV. Is it always mounted? Do you/have you moved it from the mount?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
The TV. Is it always mounted? Do you/have you moved it from the mount?
It's always mounted and only accasionally pulled away from the wall for viewing.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Team

When plastic ages, or is stressed, it is not uncommon for it to turn white and form a powder on the surface. I wouldn't be too surprised if whoever makes the plastic case for Furrion had a iffy batch of plastic when they were making the cases.

Does that TV have direct sunlight on it thru a window or vent?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
It's always mounted and only accasionally pulled away from the wall for viewing.
Does anyone use any kind a spay can product? Since there has been some time between events, I just wondered that prior to closing it up, might that have been there? Having said that, you inspected it last week and nothing was there???

You got a real mystery with the likes of "I don't like that". LOL...

Let us know what conclusions that you come to.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
When plastic ages, or is stressed, it is not uncommon for it to turn white and form a powder on the surface. I wouldn't be too surprised if whoever makes the plastic case for Furrion had a iffy batch of plastic when they were making the cases.

Does that TV have direct sunlight on it thru a window or vent?
I first went to that. Upper right hand of pic shows what looks like drips to me.

Edit: Looks like an oil...
Old 02-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

As Kenty mentioned it does look like mold (multiple lines of dots similar to cheddar cheese) and the dropplets seem to be coming out of the plastic. Redlndr now has me wondering if this is like "zinc rot" that model railroaders occasionally suffer.

Both times this appeared I wiped it down with Lysol, but when camping or otherwise in there nothing is sprayed.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Don't forget you have a very good heat source underneath that plastic. That is another reason why I think it might be the plastic being stressed....

EDIT: The dust that floats around in a RV could be sticking to the stressed areas as well making it more noticeable.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #10

So if this is bad plastic and I were to wipe it clean really well (dry cloth) and set the tv outside in direct sunlight a few hours, this should reappear?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
So if this is bad plastic and I were to wipe it clean really well (dry cloth) and set the tv outside in direct sunlight a few hours, this should reappear?
Probably not. If this is the plastic it isn't necessarily going to quickly show any signs of stress. You've only found this twice so far right?

Time and heat are what may be doing it now... As an example have you ever noticed the slimy residue that forms on the inside of some vehicles windshields even though they are owned by non-smokers? That is caused by the plastic dash components "gassing" and the chemicals collecting on the windshield with dust. It takes time and heat, and not cleaning your windshield very often , to create that slime.

Personally I'd go the other direction. Clean it off very well and then paint that area with a good plastic paint like Rust-Oleum or a similar product. If it is the plastic stressing that will seal it and should hopefully solve the issue.

I'm a model railroader, HO Gauge, and that's how I learned about weird plastic issues...
Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Probably not. If this is the plastic it isn't necessarily going to quickly show any signs of stress. You've only found this twice so far right?

Time and heat are what may be doing it now... As an example have you ever noticed the slimy residue that forms on the inside of some vehicles windshields even though they are owned by non-smokers? That is caused by the plastic dash components "gassing" and the chemicals collecting on the windshield with dust. It takes time and heat, and not cleaning your windshield very often , to create that slime.

Personally I'd go the other direction. Clean it off very well and then paint that area with a good plastic paint like Rust-Oleum or a similar product. If it is the plastic stressing that will seal it and should hopefully solve the issue.

I'm a model railroader, HO Gauge, and that's how I learned about weird plastic issues...
Updating my thread one year later.

Based on what RedLdr1 said, the plastic stresses over the winter months. Today was the first I've been in the camper since November when I closed it up.

Nothing else inside has anything on it. This stuff wipes off and looking at it on my finger it looks like teenie bits of fiberglass. I guess I'll clean it off and as suggested give it a coat of paint, then wait till next year to see if it reccurs.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190315_121224.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	198818Click image for larger version

Name:	20190315_121128.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	198819
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

Just a thought:

Your TV may be made with soy plastic. Soy plastics are ubiquitous, and it it is usually hard to know if a particular plastic contains soy. Soy plastics are more easily subject to thermal degradation and oddities such as that the in your picture. The quality/compound of the soy plastic plays a big part in its integrity and for what purposes it is used for. After all, it is supposed to degrade by design.

Bruce
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #14

That's a good thought, Bruce. Odd that there haven't been any other similar complaints. Perhaps I'll sit it outside to see if the critters try eating it. Ha ha.

-Bruce
Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
That's a good thought, Bruce. Odd that there haven't been any other similar complaints. Perhaps I'll sit it outside to see if the critters try eating it. Ha ha.

-Bruce
That would be the true test!

Bruce
Old 03-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Site Team

This can occur in plastic that is mixed incorrectly. Some of the components will leach out causing what you are seeing. RCA had an issue some time back and in extreme cases I believe they replaced some units.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This can occur in plastic that is mixed incorrectly. Some of the components will leach out causing what you are seeing. RCA had an issue some time back and in extreme cases I believe they replaced some units.
Do you know if soy or any other organic-based polymers played a part in this?

Bruce
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #18

My guess is the material is a form of yeast that is growing on the plastic. Have run into this previously, clients thought it was mold but swab testing came back as a yeast. Cleaning was easy using a general disinfectant.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
My guess is the material is a form of yeast that is growing on the plastic. Have run into this previously, clients thought it was mold but swab testing came back as a yeast. Cleaning was easy using a general disinfectant.
The radio is mounted just below and that plastic is fine. Furrion asked me for pictures, which I've sent so I see what they have to say.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Just a thought:

Your TV may be made with soy plastic. Soy plastics are ubiquitous

I try to learn something new every day. Today it was "ubiquitous".
CNYCamper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat