Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Question Update on my NEW ac

Went to pick up my TT today,(wife paid the $860 yesterday)it was still plugged in the guy says "you ready to go" I told him "I want to see it run first"
I turned it on and let it run for 10 min it didnt get as cold as it should,turned it on low and it cut off.Fan runs. New heat strip didnt work either.He tried to tell me it took 30 or so minutes for it to get cold but I knew better than that. Then THE BREAKER TRIPPED!! I told him that what it was doing before and he says the guys that worked on it were not there today and they would check it out Monday. Man am I pi$$ed!!! Now what should I do?? Tried to stop payment but it already went through.
UNIT6AUBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

I'd call the manager Monday morning and explain what happened and tell them you need it by next weekend. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT6AUBURN View Post
Went to pick up my TT today,(wife paid the $860 yesterday)it was still plugged in the guy says "you ready to go" I told him "I want to see it run first"
I turned it on and let it run for 10 min it didnt get as cold as it should,turned it on low and it cut off.Fan runs. New heat strip didnt work either.He tried to tell me it took 30 or so minutes for it to get cold but I knew better than that. Then THE BREAKER TRIPPED!! I told him that what it was doing before and he says the guys that worked on it were not there today and they would check it out Monday. Man am I pi$$ed!!! Now what should I do?? Tried to stop payment but it already went through.

I am happy to hear that you made them show you how well it worked before you pulled away. Did you have the same brand installed?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #4

No, It had a duo-therm in it they told me they didn't use those anymore so they installed a Coleman.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #5

Got the new ac. it works pretty good, Cools the tt down in about 30 min. I am still ticked the old one went out so quick.4 years?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #6

One way to help with reducing heat gain in your camper and making the A/C unit work more efficiently is to add insulated curtains to the windows as I did. This works well when we go to Myrtle beach in July. The unit actually shut down when it reaches set point. My wife made the curtains that blend with the decor of the camper and I installed them with spring rods and they fit nicely under the decorated valances around the windows, she can slid them open when the sun go's down. The other thing that can be done is to install the silver insulated material up and inside of the sky lites. You will not believe how well all of this works. Remember...Heat will move to a cool area, so when you are trying to keep the small space cool like your camper and you have all that space out side that is 90 plus degrees, your camper will not have a chance. There are other factors involved like keeping the filter clean, having the right size unit, how bad your camper leaks air or I should say how tight it is, and how many slid outs and windows you have, this all makes a difference.
This will also help in the Fall, soon the issue will come up about condensate on the windows when it's time for heat. Some folks have insulated windows, but what good is that when they have metal frames. The windows may not condensate but the frames will then the next thing you know the walls are wet from the condensate dripping off of the frames and running down the walls and now the carpet is wet.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #7

I have been thinking about getting mirror tint on the windows. We have the Venetian blinds but they are metal and I think it makes them hotter.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
I have been thinking about getting mirror tint on the windows. We have the Venetian blinds but they are metal and I think it makes them hotter.
I'm nit-picking, but "mirror" tint may not be legal in some states because of the reflections generated while you are going down the road. Your campground neighbors might not be too thrilled with it, either. No such problem with plain old tinted film.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #9

Wink

We also added black-out insulated curtains in our surveyor. They were easy to make out of insulated panels purchased at Walmart, and they match the original decor perfectly. We also made a square 'curtain' to put over the skylights in the living area and bedroom. These are attached with velcro so they can be put up and taken down as needed. Now the TT stays cool and we can sleep late when we like.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #10

Quote:
This is where the curtains will help, it will block the heat from the Venetian and radiating into the space or at least slow it down. To experiment place a good thick bath towel over a window with the sun beaming in, leave it there for a few minutes then place your hand in front of it, then pull it away you may feel a temperature change.