Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

using Rivets on walls?

i would like to put things on the Walls of my 5th wheel, but
i'm afraid to try attaching anything to the Thin walls, even something lightweight.
The bottom line is, being new to this, i'm paranoid about even touching the walls

i can try those glue on plastic hooks, but then i'm worried about really messing up the wallpaper, if they don't work.

i saw something about [pop] rivets, and it looked interesting.
Has anyone tried Rivets, with success?

thanks
marc
Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Always Learning

Depending on what I'm securing and what studs are around, I've used a combination of things.

For lightweight things, I just use drywall anchors. They work just fine but do leave a sizable hole when you remove them.

For heavier things, if there's a stud- I'll just run a screw into that. Depending on what I'm mounting, I might mount a board first and then mount whatever I'm hanging to that.

I did recently use pop-rivets to secure a dresser and craft cabinet to a wall:

Buddy of mine hung his articulating monitor mount and he seemed happy with it.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

The board is my favorite, where applicable. For the reasons mentioned, I haves minimum of things on walls.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

for light things, i use the 3M command strips and hooks. you can use the strips by themselves and attach them to just about anything. they even make them that are water safe for the shower! have not had a problem with them coming off while traveling or coming off cleanly and damaging things.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-mph21 View Post
i would like to put things on the Walls of my 5th wheel, but
i'm afraid to try attaching anything to the Thin walls, even something lightweight.
The bottom line is, being new to this, i'm paranoid about even touching the walls

i can try those glue on plastic hooks, but then i'm worried about really messing up the wallpaper, if they don't work.

i saw something about [pop] rivets, and it looked interesting.
Has anyone tried Rivets, with success?

thanks
marc
I would not use pop rivets on wood. They work fine for metal but would loosen up on wood. I use hollow wall anchors or velcro and have had good results.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Another vote for Command hooks in the bathroom and in the shower. I also have those hooks scattered around other places for keys, dog leashes, etc.

For my swing out television arm, I installed a pine 1" x 4" strip on the single stud I could find next to the AC outlet. Even that stud didn't go from floor to ceiling!

The walls are extremely thin and don't forget that the cavity between the interior wall and the exterior is also small.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #7

The best anchor I've found for attaching heavy things to the thin fiberboard used in my 2011 Georgetown is a hollow door anchor. These consist of a split shaft with a bolt going through them. When initially tightened, the split shaft spreads out behind the wall making a star that presses against the inside of the wall. This star is at least twice the size of the hole which gives it plenty of "grip" area. These come in different lengths with the shortest ones working best on rv walls.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #8

You could also try the modified pop rivets used for attaching accessories to kayaks. I use them with good success on heavy items like fire extinguishers etc.
Cahriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #9

thanks all,

all sorts of good ideas

marc
Old 10-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

I love the 3M contact strips...hooks and Velcro. I've hung sizable pictures on the wall in our TT and they were still on the wall 3 hrs later with Interstate and highway driving. I was truly amazed.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Chief tinkerer

.....one more.... well nuts. Works for outside compartment doors that are too thin for traditional hollow wall anchors.
25 Rubber Well Nuts #10-32 .807 Length 3/8" Hole Clipsandfasteners Inc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149IJQMQ..._R520BbNDSW8ZB

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #12

I have used rivets in mine with great success, on our coat rack as well as a file folder to hold our laptop and tablets.

Check out this video
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #13

I have used rivets on a number of places in our tt. 3 1/2 years and still holding strong and solid. I did use the kayak type rivets (with the back that spreads out) in several places on heavier things. I always drill a tiny hole first to make sure that I'm not drilling into anything, then drill the bigger hole for the rivet.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
Site Team

The OP's last sign-on to the site:
Last Activity: 01-05-2019 01:34 PM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
I have used rivets on a number of places in our tt. 3 1/2 years and still holding strong and solid. I did use the kayak type rivets (with the back that spreads out) in several places on heavier things. I always drill a tiny hole first to make sure that I'm not drilling into anything, then drill the bigger hole for the rivet.

I just saw these type recently on AMZ. Pretty cool and looks useful to hang stuff!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 AM   #16

Get yourself a good stud finder. It will pay for itself when you have those heavier things. I use the command strips for light items (hat hooks, shower squeegee, etc.), use wall anchors for things such as framed pictures and then use screws into studs for heavier items. The wood attached to a couple/three studs is a option for the heaviest stuff such as TV mounts, clothes or shoe racks, etc.

The main thing is identify how thick your exterior walls are and buy some self tapping screws that length AND some and 1/8" shorter.

I use the short ones if it's something very thin I'm screwing through and the longer ones if it's something I'm going to leave some of the screw exposed (not all the way to the wall or going through a piece of wood or plastic that has a 1/8" of thickness.

Never penetrated the outside fiberglass yet and other than a command hook not wanting to stick to the wall board once in awhile until I clean it really well with alcohol, never had anything come down I put up.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #17

Since the OP's bugged out, I'll ask a question on the folks using 3M/Command hooks & strips. I've tried to use these in our TT and they won't stick to the walls! I've cleaned the spot with alcohol, left them sit with no weight on them for a couple days before hanging anything on them and the same result, they come off even with the lightest weight on them. This applies to the paneling on the cabinets as well as the regular walls. I'm wondering if there is silicone in the material that is causing this.

Anyone else have this issue? FWIW, this never happened on our previous TT - a Jayco.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Since the OP's bugged out, I'll ask a question on the folks using 3M/Command hooks & strips. I've tried to use these in our TT and they won't stick to the walls! I've cleaned the spot with alcohol, left them sit with no weight on them for a couple days before hanging anything on them and the same result, they come off even with the lightest weight on them. This applies to the paneling on the cabinets as well as the regular walls. I'm wondering if there is silicone in the material that is causing this.

Anyone else have this issue? FWIW, this never happened on our previous TT - a Jayco.
I posted earlier in this thread. We use the Command strips and I've only had a problem with one hook that kept falling off. It was hook similar to a coat hook and would refuse to stay on the wall. The last time it fell, I took a good look at it and it dawned on me. The back of the hook has recess molded into it, so when you put the tape on it, only about a 10th of the surface area on the back actually contacts the tape. I filled the recess with epoxy, sanded it flat, reapplied the tape and it's been on the wall for a year now. The Hook and Strips, I've had great luck with. We have a 20 x 24" wood frame picture hanging on the wall and it has never fallen off during travel.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote