Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Valterra sewer hose carrier question

I have been thinking of adding one of those Valterra sewer hose carriers to the underside of our TT. (Must mod., must spend money, must not rest, must not leave anything alone...)

I can't seem to find out what the spacing of the support brackets is. When they say that the length is 64" for example, is that the overall length from end to end or is that the spacing of the brackets?

Can you slide the brackets on the tube? I would have to have the brackets be on the same spacing as the I-beams (around 70" IIRC). Can you cut and shorten a longer one? Not sure what type of plastic these are but if made from HDPE, then can't glue it so that's not an option.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I have been thinking of adding one of those Valterra sewer hose carriers to the underside of our TT. (Must mod., must spend money, must not rest, must not leave anything alone...)

I can't seem to find out what the spacing of the support brackets is. When they say that the length is 64" for example, is that the overall length from end to end or is that the spacing of the brackets?

Can you slide the brackets on the tube? I would have to have the brackets be on the same spacing as the I-beams (around 70" IIRC). Can you cut and shorten a longer one? Not sure what type of plastic these are but if made from HDPE, then can't glue it so that's not an option.
I would just get the 4" pvc drain pipe and make them. Cheaper and just as good. Make some straps out of 1" x 1/8" alum strap and make the tube the full width of the trailer. Put screw in plugs in both ends.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

I had thought of that too and would keep DW much happier which we all know is a really good idea. I haven't seen the Valterra one in person but the ends and attachments look sexier. But then, if it's tucked away underneath, who's going to notice. I could be looking at up to $100 for the Valterra.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:

If you're still looking for the answers to these questions I have a 64" sitting in front of me soon to be installed.

Length - end of cap to end of cap = 67"
- middle of bracket to middle of bracket = 63 1/2"
The end supports/brackets are both glued on. If you can get a new unused end support/bracket then cutting and re-glueing shouldn't be a big deal. It's a stretch but I wonder if you could order one unglued.

Note: I got mine from Camping World online for $38.39 so deals are out there. Amazon's another option.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Remember, the Valtera will hold 1 15' or 20' hose only.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #6

Even the 8' one? I have so much trouble getting our hoses in and out of the bumper and we now have 4 10' hoses. That would mean using two carriers if I want to stop using the bumper?

I thought the hoses will collapse quite short? I will have to go measure one.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:

... Just happen to have a brand-new 64" one sitting in the garage at this moment, awaiting installation.
Overall length - 64 1/2 "
Center of each mounting bracket is 1/2" in from each end or 63 1/2" end to end.
Bracket mounting hole spacing - 5 3/16 " center to center.
Brackets are firmly attached to the tube ends (appear to be glued)

Price $74.00 Cdn from Fraserway or Travelhome (less 10% if you bought your rig from either place)

...VTX-Al
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
... Just happen to have a brand-new 64" one sitting in the garage at this moment, awaiting installation.
Overall length - 64 1/2 "
My overall length of 67" measurement included the handles on the end caps. Likely this one didn't but might still good to have both.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

I used a 6" fiberglass fence post and put endcaps on both ends. Used hinges on one end and glued the other.(with holes drilled for drainage) Instead of drilling holes I used straps to mount it on top of my fake bumper. It holds 40' of hose with connections and the drain elbow too.