Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
MI Camperz

vents cracked open or closed in winter?

I would like some input into whether or not it is a good idea to keep the vents open a little or closed in the winter.
We'll be covering the TT with a cover that supposedly wicks moisture. Some sources say to leave the vents open a little. Some sources say no. Thank you to anyone who can offer their insight into this question.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #2

I usually leave mine open to help with air movement in the tt. This will help hold down moisture build up in the tt. However, I do close the vents when the forecast calls for rain or snow.

I also need to note that I park under an RV Port and I do not use a cover. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

We are on a permanent site and we do leave ours opened slightly when we close for the season..We have an adco cover and have never had a problem leaving them opened about 1/2 way..
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

In our last class A & present 5er, I have my roof vents covered by MaxAir II vent covers.
I leave the roof vents open year round except when they call for a hurricane type storm.
We used to close everything up tight in our 26’ tt & used those containers of Damprid.
I’d empty the water & replace the Damprid every month.
Once I started leaving the vents open I found no water accumulated in the Damprid containers.
So now we no longer go through that hassle & expense.
I also have our Ehrlich pest control guy stop by & treat the 5er.
Never had a bug & or mouse in it come spring.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
MI Camperz

thanks

Thanks for your help all. We're seasonal too, but closed for the season. We covered, put down moisture absorbing things and will go back in a month to check things. I think I will leave the vents open a crack then. That seems to be working well for those that wrote.

Also, we scattered moth balls and Bounce dryer sheets around the TT. Locals where we are say this discourages mice/bugs. Any thoughts?
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

We do put bounce sheets around the trailer when we close for the season, as for mothball's i have put them under the trailer, but not inside.
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

we to have been seasonal since 06 we never leave anything open as we do get snow we don't have a cover and we leave our slides extended year round we also spread dryer sheets around the inside as well as a couple of sticky traps for critters although we have not had any mice in the last few years i don't use mothballs though they are to smelly and usually last into a lot of the next season i started using borax detergent booster a few years ago havent had any mice or critters and it smells pretty good and it dissapates all by itself by season openig weekend if not just spray a little water on it and its gone
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote