Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #11

Never the less as far as the word "FART" go's, in our house we call it an "ERECTILE HICCUP".

Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #12

Dense chemical vapor will trigger the LP detector

I have heard of many things in the 10 years I've been in the RV industry and this flatulence idea only makes sense. I have had customers who have sprayed numerous cleaners and hair products that in turn came close to contact the area around the detector and caused it to go off. Even a spill of wine or beer will do it too.
Liquid Propane does contain mercaptan that gives propane that sulphur smell to it.
The only advice is that when your detector goes off, do not disconnect it. Ventilate the area by opening windows and roof vents to alleviate the cause of the detector to go off. You can even wave a towel to speed up the process of dilluting the air around the detector, much like Grandma would do to the smoke detector in the kitchen while she was burning dinner...
When the detector stops alarming, then you can close everything up and sit tight as if the cause was a propane leak, it would go off again. Then, I suggest that you turn off your tanks and try it again. If the alarm goes off again when there is no propane in the system, then either the detector is contaminated or faulty and needs to be replaced.
And like my mother said, if you need to release gas from the rear, it is best to hold it until you reach the restroom...

Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #13

sulpher smell

when we took off this morning our ac is blowing a strong sulpher smell. We turned it off and still smell it, any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens107 View Post
when we took off this morning our ac is blowing a strong sulpher smell. We turned it off and still smell it, any suggestions?
Any chance it's coming from another vehicle? I've been behind vehicles where their catalytic converter was really stinking up the ride for us. After they pulled off the smell went with them. Or is someone doing a lot of smiling??

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #15

This may not be as silly as it is funny. I was cleaning the inside wood area with Pledge and the detector went off. My question is; What is in Pledge? Or just what sets off the detector?

Who has to wash your shorts?

Big Bird
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I do recall when one of my batteries went bad and was still being charged it all of a sudden stunk up the motorhome with a surphur like smell. You may need to check there and see if that's the culprit.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote