Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Wall flex on Grey Wolf

We have a moderate problem with our just over 1 year old Grey Wolf. I noticed after our 1300 mile trip to Branson, that the siding had literally broke away from where it was stapled to the floor with like 6 staples in a 2 inch space on the right front corner of the unit. I thought it was a product of not having enough flex because of all the staples in one spot. I was pondering a way to fix it, because I thought it was just a siding problem. HOWEVER....after taking a short 2 hour trip this weekend and after setting up, I noticed that the siding had pulled UP along the plywood for the floor, exposing about 1/2" of the side of the flooring. After investigating, the first screw that held the wall down to the floor has broken off, pulling the wall up from the floor on that corner.

After mulling around how I'm going to get this thing pulled back down and thinking about it over a case of beer this weekend, I pulled it home. I looked at it once we were home to see if it got any worse, and much to my surprise, the wall was back where it was supposed to be!! This is while it was hooked up to the truck. After I put it in its spot, and got it off the truck, now it's separated again!

Has anybody ever had this happen?

My solution would be to cut the back side of the wall open and use two 1" wide mending plates/bars that come pre drilled. I would put one on the inside of the wall on top, and one under the floor on the outside of the unit and then use bolts to pull it back together and hold it.

Another thing I noticed while going through this, was that EVERY SINGLE nut on bottom of the trailer holding the floor down to the frame was loose....some to the point where there were no threads showing on the carriage bolt! There is no lock washer or anything on these, so as as this rattlebox rides down the road, the bolts loosen! Guess in my trip to the store for my mending plates I'll buy 30 nylon lock nuts too!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

So nobody has had a screw that holds the wall to the floor break off?

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf