Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Wanted: Maintenance checklist form

Hello,
I am currently creating a Maintenance Checklist form in Excel. I am not the most proficient in Excel and when I am frustrated, it makes me wonder...

Does anyone know of an App to help log routine RV maintenance?

Here is an example of what I want:
AREA - FREQUENCY- DESC - DATE- NEXT DATE
----------------------------------------------------
Slide out seals - 4x yearly - Inspect for wear. Spray with slide-out lube.- 07- 04 - 19

Thanks
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Never seen one made by anyone posted. Mainly I believe because everyone's campers are generally different unless you're talking same manufacture and line of models. Asking manufacture to provide such information when almost all the appliances and parts are provided by other manufactures just isn't very likely. No owners manual, no maintenance checklists, just a pile of warranty and owners manuals for all the parts and appliances in the camper in a plastic bag or a drawer when you pick it up.

That said, check out the basics and intermediate on this and let's see if we can't help you that way.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=Excel+basics

Excel is a great tool for making checklists among other things for camping. I have one for setup and camp breakdown day I throw on the picnic table to make sure I do everything in the order I want to, even though I've camped for years. One single distraction, question from someone, interruption can make you forget something important. Those three things have caused me to lower my tongue jack before I raised my stabilizers, forget to chock my wheels before unhitching (luckily on a level parking pad) among the screw ups I'll freely admit to.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Never seen one made by anyone posted. Mainly I believe because everyone's campers are generally different unless you're talking same manufacture and line of models. Asking manufacture to provide such information when almost all the appliances and parts are provided by other manufactures just isn't very likely. No owners manual, no maintenance checklists, just a pile of warranty and owners manuals for all the parts and appliances in the camper in a plastic bag or a drawer when you pick it up.

That said, check out the basics and intermediate on this and let's see if we can't help you that way.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=Excel+basics

Excel is a great tool for making checklists among other things for camping. I have one for setup and camp breakdown day I throw on the picnic table to make sure I do everything in the order I want to, even though I've camped for years. One single distraction, question from someone, interruption can make you forget something important. Those three things have caused me to lower my tongue jack before I raised my stabilizers, forget to chock my wheels before unhitching (luckily on a level parking pad) among the screw ups I'll freely admit to.
Thanks for the link to Excel 101 and the laughs. We have a list for setup and breakdown. I keep adding steps to it.

With a Maintenance app, I realize everyone has different needs. I was hoping it would allow one to add their own maint steps and needs. I have found a few for cars, but they don’t allow me to add my own.

If I knew how to write an app, I would do it and offer to all my RV friends...
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Kasual Kamper

As a technical writer, I am constantly amazed why people use Excel for text-based applications. If you are a person who is proficient at Excel because of your profession, that is all well and good. But if you're not, Word is much more user-friendly and provides many basic numeric functions if that is what is needed.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Hello,
I am currently creating a Maintenance Checklist form in Excel. I am not the most proficient in Excel and when I am frustrated, it makes me wonder...

Does anyone know of an App to help log routine RV maintenance?

Here is an example of what I want:
AREA - FREQUENCY- DESC - DATE- NEXT DATE
----------------------------------------------------
Slide out seals - 4x yearly - Inspect for wear. Spray with slide-out lube.- 07- 04 - 19

Thanks

Your post got me wondering is there an app in the Google Play Store, like Amazon seem to have most everything else, so I did a search and found a couple. Having never used any of them I'm certainly not going to make a recommendation I will say though, Google Play Store, has couple.

Check them out if your an android user and see what you think. One I'm looking at includes maintenance tracker along with a checklist minder.
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Your post got me wondering is there an app in the Google Play Store, like Amazon seem to have most everything else, so I did a search and found a couple. Having never used any of them I'm certainly not going to make a recommendation I will say though, Google Play Store, has couple.

Check them out if your an android user and see what you think. One I'm looking at includes maintenance tracker along with a checklist minder.
Yeah I’m an iPhone user. Based on my searches in the Apply Playstore, I will assume the apps you found are NOT RV specific. So do the allow you to edit the fields and enter your own maint items? The ones I found are for autos and are specific to autos. Ie: oil change. Windshield fluid. Wiper blades. Etc.
That would be fine if it would let me add an RV maint item. Ie: lube tv antenna, caulk around air conditioner, etc.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
As a technical writer, I am constantly amazed why people use Excel for text-based applications. If you are a person who is proficient at Excel because of your profession, that is all well and good. But if you're not, Word is much more user-friendly and provides many basic numeric functions if that is what is needed.
Thanks. I’ll try Word. I think most people think if you have a list of data, Excel is best. I could maybe do his with Edlin. (Testing your age) 😃
Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah I’m an iPhone user. Based on my searches in the Apply Playstore, I will assume the apps you found are NOT RV specific. So do the allow you to edit the fields and enter your own maint items? The ones I found are for autos and are specific to autos. Ie: oil change. Windshield fluid. Wiper blades. Etc.

That would be fine if it would let me add an RV maint item. Ie: lube tv antenna, caulk around air conditioner, etc.
One I found called ToGo RV so yes RV specific and asks for make, model and year. Has templates and yes they can be modified changed. I'm going to start using this app, thanks for the idea.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
{snip}...I could maybe do his with Edlin. (Testing your age) 😃
Age Testing: OMG! Time warp! I spent hours using Edlin to modify autoexec.bat files. Anyone use the original VisiCalc spreadsheet program? And on the Mac side, anyone remember the original Hypercard (and Hypertalk language) program?

Regarding checklists: I use MiraCheck CoPilot for my aviation checklists and have begun adding checklists for the RV. They offer a free iOS version (which would work fine for RVs) but I'm not sure they offer an Android version.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Age Testing: OMG! Time warp! I spent hours using Edlin to modify autoexec.bat files. Anyone use the original VisiCalc spreadsheet program? And on the Mac side, anyone remember the original Hypercard (and Hypertalk language) program?

Regarding checklists: I use MiraCheck CoPilot for my aviation checklists and have begun adding checklists for the RV. They offer a free iOS version (which would work fine for RVs) but I'm not sure they offer an Android version.
Edlin RV.com
Cls
Echo off
Echo It used to be fun building batch files!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
One I found called ToGo RV so yes RV specific and asks for make, model and year. Has templates and yes they can be modified changed. I'm going to start using this app, thanks for the idea.
SWEET! They make Togo for iPhone too! Just downloaded and going to try it out.

Thank you so much. This appears to be just what I was looking for!
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #12

There is a maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Just add dates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-10_1327.png
Views:	150
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	220385  
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2703 View Post
There is a maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Just add dates.
Owners Manual? What’s that? Haha.
Okay thanks for this. Good stuff.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll try Word. I think most people think if you have a list of data, Excel is best. I could maybe do his with Edlin. (Testing your age) ��
I was taught way back when - "NEVER EVER use a spreadsheet for a database!" The most violated rule in computing. If you want records of maintenance you have done as well as a list of items due and interval, a database is the ideal tool. But probably not worth the learning and set up curve.

Word can make very nice checklists very quickly, and does a much nicer job of formatting than Excel. This from a person who spends 40% of his workday in Excel - because engineers are too lazy to learn any software besides Excel, and are too lazy to set up their data dictionary to use a database properly.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #15

I've been looking for the same thing and came across this website:

https://maintainmyrv.com

I haven't tried it yet but as much as I hate to pay for anything, I also am not proficient at Word or Excel and don't want to spend the time on building a schedule. They don't have an app but hopefully will soon. If you've tried it please let me know or I'll post when I try it.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #16

Quote:
SWEET! They make Togo for iPhone too! Just downloaded and going to try it out.

Thank you so much. This appears to be just what I was looking for!
Yeah I tried using this and struggled. I get it and what they have is nice. But I could not seem to add my own maint items. And this is a must! So I quit using it.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I've been looking for the same thing and came across this website:

https://maintainmyrv.com

I haven't tried it yet but as much as I hate to pay for anything, I also am not proficient at Word or Excel and don't want to spend the time on building a schedule. They don't have an app but hopefully will soon. If you've tried it please let me know or I'll post when I try it.
I dug in and fixed my spreadsheet and now I am happy! It does not auto remind me when something needs to be done but I can review it and know what has been don’t by reading the maint date.

Tags
check, maintenance