Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #1

Warranty issue

Hi everyone,

We got our Rockwood 8265WS in September of last year and are now on our Cross Canada trip. We love the trailer

We are about 10,000km or 6,000 miles from home on Prince Edward Island. This is a province that has 2 RV dealers one selling Forest River products. That specific dealer told me that they were not set up to deal with a repair like ours.

We have both bearings gone in one wheel, the spindle is really grooved. I had a fellow from a trailer manufacturer out to get us mobile, not a fix but just so we can drive the trailer into a shop.

I talked to a person at Forestriver > Rockwood/Flagstaff Warranty. I have to say so far the support has not been what I hoped for. I assumed that with no dealer to help one could expect some support from the manufacturer. When I asked if they could send out an axle, drum bearings the works, I was told to call the manufacturer of the axle to see if they cover the breakdown. I assumed Forestriver gave the warranty on the complete unit.

If anyone has had any experience getting stranded without a dealer around or can suggest a person to talk to at Forestriver to get some action, it would be much appreciated. We have been her for a week tomorrow.

Cheers, Anders
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Have you been greasing the trailer bearings during the trip? I didn't have bearing failure like yourself, but during our trip (short compared to yours), I tried several times to grease the bearings during our trip and even stopped at a Forest River dealer to see if they could get grease in it,they couldn't either. They did jam as much grease as they could around the bearings. They called Forest River and they also told them to call the axle manufacture. But now our camper has a bigger problem (crack in the side wall), Its going back to the factory so they are now working with the axle manufacture to replace our axles. Only because of the crack, and it has be returned to the factory. So it must be there standard practice to refer to the failed part manufacturer. Hopefully someone else will know more ??

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

this is what I can tell you, VERY disappointed with the dealership we bought from. They promise you the moon and fly you around the block. We will buy else where next time and we are telling everyone of our experience. Rockwood 2604
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Have you checked for a company on the island that carries trailer axles? I assume you have the torsion axles, AL-KO probably? An axle swap is relatively straight forward.
Your problem is unfortunate, but underscores the need to be generous with the grease. The first thing I did when we picked ours up in Minneapolis was to take the wheel axle covers off and grease the heck out of the bearings. I was surprised just how much grease they took, obviously not well-lubed from the factory.
Good luck.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanne7 View Post
this is what I can tell you, VERY disappointed with the dealership we bought from. They promise you the moon and fly you around the block. We will buy else where next time and we are telling everyone of our experience. Rockwood 2604
It would be helpfull to the forum to know who the dealer is and how they have failed you so they can be avoided!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #6

Lots of grease

Thanks everyone for the input and your comments.

It was not for the lack of grease, the axles were greased before we left and then again when we got out to the east coast (10,000 km) as per AL-KO manual. I also use the special grease specified by AL-KO

The person that was out here and patched it up said that he thought that the cotter-pin was either missing or had fallen out of the axle and the nut then came loose. There was no sign of any cotter pin anywhere when we took the hub off.

It just seems odd that I should have to call the axle manufacturer when Forestriver is giving the warranty. If I have problems with my Cummins motor in the truck, I just go to the Dodge/Chrysler dealership and they fix it, I don't have to call Cummins to see if warranty covers.

It just gets me a bit uptight when companies tries to "pass the buck" and not stand behind what they sell and even more so when one is stranded 10,000 km from home. I know my dealer in BC would have dealt with it no problems.

Thanks again, Anders
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

After my one and only "bearing service" at my local dealer I discovered two different size cotter pins in the bearing castigated nut. Two were clearly "re-used" (a no no) and two were just as clearly too small for the nut (must have broken the ones that were there in the first place).

I paid them top dollar thinking I would get good service.
I did get a good screwing so I should not complain.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
After my one and only "bearing service" at my local dealer I discovered two different size cotter pins in the bearing castigated nut. Two were clearly "re-used" (a no no) and two were just as clearly too small for the nut (must have broken the ones that were there in the first place).

I paid them top dollar thinking I would get good service.
I did get a good screwing so I should not complain.
Thanks.... Was down to a local trailer manufacturer today that patched it up so we can get mobile. We need a new complete axle. I have told them to order one and will send the bill to Fortes River. In the meantime I have also heard back From FR, not sure what will come from it but at least they are talking to us.
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Have you checked for a company on the island that carries trailer axles? I assume you have the torsion axles, AL-KO probably? An axle swap is relatively straight forward.
Your problem is unfortunate, but underscores the need to be generous with the grease. The first thing I did when we picked ours up in Minneapolis was to take the wheel axle covers off and grease the heck out of the bearings. I was surprised just how much grease they took, obviously not well-lubed from the factory.
Good luck.
Thanks, there are only to RV dealers on the Island and one sell FR products but they told me they are not set up to do this kind of work. Bearings were well greased, as per manufacturers warranty. Had another look at everything again, including movie and pictures, and the nut was still on, but no cotter-pin, so the bearings came lose..... I think. Thanks again.
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

Things are getting repaired.

I just figure I update you all on what is happening with the repair of our axle. Things are looking really good.

Forest River must not have realized the severity of the problem we had needing a new axel. Once they reviewed all the pictures (32 in all) and the movie we sent them they informed us that they are sending a new axle out, should be here tuesday or wednesday.

Our local Dealer (Travelhome The RV Marketplace ~ Langley / Vancouver RV & Used Trucks Dealership, Langley RV Sales | RV Service | RV Parts in Langley, BC Canada) in BC, called us and said they will pick up the repair cost and make the warranty claim. They said we should not have to deal with that on our holiday..... That's good service.

Again, thanks to all for your comments and support, nice to have fellow RV'rs to chat with.

Cheers, Anders
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

You guys are SO lucky to have an awesome RV dealer and service department close by.
I sure wish I could say the same.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
You guys are SO lucky to have an awesome RV dealer and service department close by.
I sure wish I could say the same.
Actually we are 8,000 plus km from home, but they went to bat for us. Makes you feel like the business was appreciated.
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Kinda chokes me up, ya know.
Pass our "kudos" along from the Forum.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #14

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Glad to see your dealer's backing you up on that ! don't see that too often any more ! Hopefully you'll be on the road again shortly !! Have a safe rest of your trip !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Forest river goes to bat---------

I have nothing but praise for the warranty department of Forest River. They have not balked the first time for my problems with the brakes and axle problems I have had. Four times in the shop for brakes before they were fixed. AL-KO also has been very good about the problem with the brakes.

I even picked a axle shop of my choice, had the axle's jacked back to the proper position for adjustment. Paid the bill out of my pocket, submitted the bill to Forest River, was promptly reimbursed. (with advanced approval from FR)

It is good to know you are getting your problem resolved while enjoying P.E.I.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #16

I am very happy for you in the ending. Sometimes travel trailers can be a real nightmare!!!!!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote