Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

warranty issues

Has anyone had any issues with "delamination" occurring on outside walls of trailer/5th wheels (ours let go on the outer wall by the bedroom in front of the "closet" slide right from the roof to the bottom about 8 inches wide. Apparently this due to problem with glue used by the manufacturer between 2008 and 2010 - we have a 2009 8280ws. It is at this moment in Indiana (Forest River plant) being repaired "under warranty".

Has anyone ever been told that if you install a trailer hitch (on your 5th wheel) your warranty is voided -- I don't recall reading anything about this or signing/initialling a waiver when our dealer installed the hitch as part of the sale.

Any comments or inputs?

Thanks,
Big Willy

Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your delamination problem. Good to see that Rockwood/Forest River is correcting the problem in spite of being out of warranty. I'm assuming that they're replacing the complete door-side wall.

I've heard that the frame warranty would be voided by adding anything structurally to it. The dealer should have informed you prior in installing the hitch. Did this come up in discussions with Rockwood/Forest River?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

unless its factory installed with a weight rating applied to it the frame warranty is voided when adding a hitch of any kind for towing or hanging bikes and the like . tmk
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

Thanks Dave,

But really it is not out of warranty as we did not buy it till April of 2010 and the walls are three years I do believe.
And it costed 1150 to get it to forest river
and they will cover that but not the return trip witch will cost us 750 plus fuel for about 300 Klicks/. And if something goes wrong with the other side they will not cover it because of a hitch .... (12foot alum.boat-and 3.3hp) Not a happy camper
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

your trailer is an ultra-light and it isn't strong enough to be towing a second trailer with, according to the frame manufacturer. they won't even warranty a bike rack in a welded receiver.

that's why modding a receiver to it, voids the frame warranty.

if your dealer did the work, they should be partially responsible if something happened.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

We have been fighting with our dealer here in Canada (Paradise RV Red Deer, Alberta) for 3 years over delam issues. They decided to use a local body shop to fix it both times. If we wanted the wall replaced we were told the frieght charges (around 4500.00) would have to come out of our own pocket. The first repair was made, the wall cracked and the repair sunk and more delam appeared. The second delam and repairs to the first delam problems were repaired but the wall looks like crap now. We can see exactly where the repair was made. Dealer told me that was all they can do for us. Can't get a definate reason for the delam, only possible causes. Back to Forest River to see what they will do. When we contacted FR last fall regarding this he told us to stop work but the work had already been started and I wasn't about to have it sit outside with a hole in the wall where they started the repair. Looks like we will have to live with the delam or try to take a huge loss and dump it on another dealership for a trade in.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Craig,
I understand that distance to the factory could be an issue for you but another option for you is to ask FR to repair the delamination at the factory. They have done this successfully so I wonder if that has been offered to you? If not, and you and your are interested, you should ask.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. The problem is I am not willing to spend 4500.00 to have the trailer hauled to the factory and returned. If this was looked after properly the first time this wouldn't be an issue. Everything would have been covered by warranty but now they are saying warranty has expired. Is that how FR does business? Throw a band aid on the problem to get customers satisfied until the warranty runs out then too bad for us? Maybe all TT have the same issues but it is how the dealer and the factory stand behind their products that makes the difference. We do have another call in to FR, just waiting for a call back.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Craig, I can understand your frustration (I would be, too, if I were you). Be firm with them but polite and professional. Good luck on your call and let us know how it turns out for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your Problem CRAIG , I am happy to say that Forest River did come thought on this issue for us , they replace both sides of our 8280ws , put a up- grade on the axles and repaired some wallpaper , did a pressure test of the water and propane.All in all it looks like a brand new trailer, but it did cost me 750 to get it back, and they will not warranty it any more ,but I am happy with that.

Big Willy

Tags
delamination, trailer hitch