Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Warranty Repair from non-purchase dealership

Hello, I've read a lot of horror stories here regarding people trying to get warranty work done at an authorized dealer when the TT was purchased elsewhere. I'm currently experiencing some of that. This seems completely illegal to refuse to honor a warranty.

My question is does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to just get the work done? What should I say to the authorized shop if they say "no, we won't do the warranty work"? Are they under any sort of obligation to conduct the repairs? Will FR HQ back up their customers in these situations?
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately unlike the auto industry, an authorized dealer has no obligation to do warranty work on your unit. That is a fact. That being said, if you have a good reason why you need the work done at a repair facility ( not necessarily an authorized dealer) other than the selling dealer, you should contact FR ( correct division) and ask them for a list of service facilities in your area that they will work with. You can start here:Forest River, Inc. | Contact
It can be frustrating, but in most cases you will be taken care of in the end.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

If it is still within the first year use your Coach-Net subscription to find a dealer that will work with you that is close by.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

It is within my first year, it was a September purchase. I had previously tried the RV Warranty Forever folks, but they told me I had to be out of my factory warranty for them to kick in. I had not thought about the Coach-Net option since I'm not actually broken down, but they could find a place to help me I suppose?

What do people do when they change residences with TTs they just bought? The place I bought from is literally 16 hours away now and not an option for warranty repair. I have a very simple repair, the suburban oven won't stay lit and probably needs a replacement pilot light assembly. Maybe I should just try the oven's warranty, but I wanted to establish a relationship with a local dealer should something else go wrong.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Team

If the oven is the issue that requires the service. Check the link below and others as this is a common problem and lots of good solutions here. Do a search also.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lit-82213.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Thanks, I did read that thread too, and the closest Suburban repair shop to me is.....<drumroll>....the same Forest River dealer that refused the warranty repair.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
Thanks, I did read that thread too, and the closest Suburban repair shop to me is.....<drumroll>....the same Forest River dealer that refused the warranty repair.
I would contact Suburban and have them talk to the dealer.
Or have them authorize an independent shop to fix it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Link to service centers
http://www.airxcel.com/dealer-locato...848&radius=500

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Due to less than stellar performance of the dealer I purchased my RV from I contacted Palomino and they were very helpful in finding local dealers that would be willing to do the warranty work I needed done. They even greased the skids by calling the dealer that I preferred to have do the work before I did.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
Hello, I've read a lot of horror stories here regarding people trying to get warranty work done at an authorized dealer when the TT was purchased elsewhere. I'm currently experiencing some of that. This seems completely illegal to refuse to honor a warranty.

My question is does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to just get the work done? What should I say to the authorized shop if they say "no, we won't do the warranty work"? Are they under any sort of obligation to conduct the repairs? Will FR HQ back up their customers in these situations?
There are a lot of none dealership shops that are authorized to do warranty work by the various RV Factories and there components. It just takes a little research on your part to find them. I found a shop in my hometown that does warranty work and anything else you want done. I don't even go to the dealer anymore.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #11

We got what we felt like was a great deal on our Georgetown 364TS at a dealer 6 hours away, not exactly convenient for repairs so we tried the local Georgetown dealer and they weren't interested in help us with warranty issues, but happy to charge us their hourly rate to make all the repairs necessary. So I found the Forest River Georgetown rep and he sent me a list of the three closest dealers willing to do warranty work, and the closest was only an hour and 15 minutes from our home. So ended u much better than a 12 round trip to drop off and then go pick back up.
SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

I started checking around found several rv repair shops that would do warranty work. Several had worked at major dealers changed management so they opened their own shops. One I have found out they get you in and out and strive for customer satisfaction which drives their business.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #13

You do not need to go to a FR dealer to get your appliances repaired. They are not warranted by FR but by the individual appliance mfr. Any suburban service center can do the repair under warranty for you. Forest River will not sell parts directly to a non FR dealer or service center. They must purchase parts through a FR dealer, thus increasing the price for parts ( two mark ups and double freight) and a long delay for all the paper channels and a little animosity among dealers. The RV industry does not have franchises only individual dealer agreements.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, repair, warranty