Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

Thumbs up Warranty

As my many posts will show, I seem to be a minority when it come to crappy dealers and warranty nightmares. I am 100% satisfied with my dealer (J and J Camper, East Moline, Illinois). I had massive (literally) problems when I first got my Shasta Phoenix 33CK. The service guys worked with Forest River to correct it. They bent over backwards to fix it. FR then extended the deadline warranty. FR, and J and J, have friend for life. I will, and have recommended both.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #12

I failed to mention my dealer is

SST Auto RV, in Mesa AZ. They do their best and I think they do it better than most and again, with respect.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Dealers do not like warranty work as they can make more profit doing non-warranty repairs. This is not a FR issue. The Rv industry is very different than you may be used to in the auto industry. Manufacturers have little to no control over the dealers. Dealers choose to do or not do warranty work on their own. They try to encourage buying from them (many times at higher prices) under the threat of not servicing it purchased elsewhere. You can try to get FR to pre-authorize them to do the repair, but I would want to go elsewhere anyway as I judge the overall quality of a dealer by their attitude toward warranty work among other things.
There are two thoughts on warranty repairs.
1. I paid for a new RV , I should not have to fix something that was incorrectly done so I am taking it to the dealer with a long punch list.
2. I bought this RV to enjoy, even though I should not have to repair this myself, I am going to do it and get back to enjoying my camper.
Forest River advertises a warranty. Forest River authorizes dealers to sell their warranted products. Forest River is the manufacturer yet they CHOOSE to allow their dealers to play these games with customers.

It most certainly is Forest Rivers issue. All they need to do is institute a policy where if a dealer sells the product, they have to provide warranty service. For good measure they could also require the dealer to do so in a set amount of time. Its actually very simple. Play by our rules or you do not sell our product.......period! Why don't they implement such a policy?

A customer should not have to jump through hoops, call and email the division service reps, argue with the dealer, go to Goshen rallies or the factory, or any other BS. It should be a painless and fairly quick process. Not the total farce you read about on post after post after post.

Lots of people on this forum are quick to point out just how all these dealers suck. By the amount of posts concerning that, and most of the mods here are in agreement about the dealers just the same as everyone else, the F.R. dealer network is composed of at least 75% to 80% bums. How can that not be a F.R. issue?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant

Mr. H,

This issue is not just a FR problem, it's an industry - wide issue.
I just read a thread on RV.net, about an owner of a new Winnebago owner ranting about the same issue.
And I've read owners of nearly every other brand make the same complaint.

Yea, it would be great if FR would be an industry leader for consumers, regarding this issue.
But I ain't holding my breath.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Mr. H,

This issue is not just a FR problem, it's an industry - wide issue.
I just read a thread on RV.net, about an owner of a new Winnebago owner ranting about the same issue.
And I've read owners of nearly every other brand make the same complaint.

Yea, it would be great if FR would be an industry leader for consumers, regarding this issue.
But I ain't holding my breath.

I'm with you and I was just as critical of it when I owned a Keystone.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #16

Watch out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I'm with you and I was just as critical of it when I owned a Keystone.
Be careful Mr. H,

You'll get flamed by the cheerleaders and banned from the forum. We should all be treated the same by FR and the dealers regardless of our status on this forum. Seems to me the fest organizers get preferential treatment when it comes to warranty and out of warranty service. Hence their attitude towards FR.

I would have been thrilled with getting ANY decent in-warranty service by my local dealer. We shouldn't have to come onto this forum and beg for help, but for some, I guess, it seems to be the only way to get their issues resolved. I find that unacceptable. A simple phone call to any dealer should be all that is required.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #17

IMHO, being new to the RV world for just two years and a 40 year veteran of the auto world, this industry just needs a little competition from foreign manufacturing. The RV industry of today is much like the auto industries in the 60 and 70s, build as many as you can and do not worry about quality, reliability of serviceability. I've had many conversations with RV dealers and manufacturers. With the low gas prices the auto industry is selling trucks like crazy and so are RV dealers but with several differences. They include the above three but additionally and just as important is a strong dealer network. RV manufacturers only care about building as many RVs as possible, and their dealers only care about selling them. Infact the MFG are adding shifts and expanding buildings . The dealers however are not doing the same. They are not mirroring the MFG and they simply cannot handle the volume to repair poor quality built RVs. I frequently look at new RVs in lots and campsites. The fit and finish and overall quality of RVs would never be tolerated in an auto plant today. Something the US auto industry learned a long time ago, the hard way! I do believe RV manufacturers can do more to control dealers. But if they continue to be short sided and grab profits for today, they will doom themselves when fuel prices go up or disappear all together due to alternative means to propel a vehicle.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #18

warranty support problem...you too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Forest River advertises a warranty. Forest River authorizes dealers to sell their warranted products. Forest River is the manufacturer yet they CHOOSE to allow their dealers to play these games with customers.

It most certainly is Forest Rivers issue. All they need to do is institute a policy where if a dealer sells the product, they have to provide warranty service. For good measure they could also require the dealer to do so in a set amount of time. Its actually very simple. Play by our rules or you do not sell our product.......period! Why don't they implement such a policy?

A customer should not have to jump through hoops, call and email the division service reps, argue with the dealer, go to Goshen rallies or the factory, or any other BS. It should be a painless and fairly quick process. Not the total farce you read about on post after post after post.

Lots of people on this forum are quick to point out just how all these dealers suck. By the amount of posts concerning that, and most of the mods here are in agreement about the dealers just the same as everyone else, the F.R. dealer network is composed of at least 75% to 80% bums. How can that not be a F.R. issue?

Exactly! This is a huge OEM issue, plain and simple. Yet, it is a dealer-network problem, nonetheless. Behind every dealership is a contract that states many things very clearly. A wide range of issues are covered. Things of a very legal nature like indemnification to performance standard and criteria which may include stocking requirements, etc. They are spelled out very clearly in contracts to protect the dealers and the OEM's. Unfortunately, there is often little therein to protect the end user/customer. I know, as an owner/ manager of a heavy equipment dealership I sign dealer agreements all the time. However, in my business as in most, except RV it seems, there are product support clauses. In which you agree that as a dealer you will support the customer and the brand by facilitating warranty claims regardless of where the customer purchased. Why? Because it's the right thing to do and it supports the brand. Admittedly, customers that purchase from you may be entitled to your preferential treatment and that's fine. However, everyone who owns the product should be entitled to support from the dealer network.
How the RV industry ignores this is beyond me. Frankly, it casts the OEM's, the industry even, in a very negative light. The dealers are not immune from blame here completely, either. They should, through collective pressure applied to OEM's through "Dealer Councils", etc, apply pressure to the OEM's to establish better policy and practice in terms of warranty coverage and reimbursement. Every manufacturer needs good distribution and it's the hardest and most important task that confronts them, fact. RV dealers need to understand that together they have power and can influence the OEM's through the threat of weakening and possibly losing distribution. OEM's know this and sometimes foster a very competitive, often hostile atmosphere within dealer network. This practice hinders dealers from collectively creating a rising tide that will float all ships. Dealers get so caught up in the fierce competition that they ignore their ability to influence the OEM's together.
In the end, they're sticking their head in a sand to the problem and pointing fingers. It's foolish and short-sighted. Bad product support, for any reason, is ultimately damaging to them, too. A weak brand with a bad reputation is not a good brand to represent.
This industry has a whole lot to learn from where I sit.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #19

Unlike autos, almost every item on a trailer or motorhome carries its own warranty. Much of my trailer is manufactured by Lippert Industries who have an excellent customer service department and have bent over backward to help with warranty issues.

I am also very happy with Forest River customer service.

I hope I never have to resort to dealer service. They absolutely suck in my area.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #20

warranty support problem...you too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
Unlike autos, almost every item on a trailer or motorhome carries its own warranty. Much of my trailer is manufactured by Lippert Industries who have an excellent customer service department and have bent over backward to help with warranty issues.

I am also very happy with Forest River customer service.

I hope I never have to resort to dealer service. They absolutely suck in my area.

I've heard more good things than bad about both of those CS departments. One of my reasons for going the route I did. I hope to not need to verify but by researching this industry it seems the odds are I will.
I agree that much of what an auto manufacturer covers under warranty is a product of their proprietary manufacturing . However, there are a ton of products in cars that are made by contract vendors. It's just that the auto industry doesn't send you to fight battles directly with them, typically and fall back to the cover of another vendors warranty policy on their product.

Tags
warranty