Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
warranty support too?

Hi there,

I live in Alaska and bought a new Forest River trailer (Salem Cruise Light 27BHS). It came with a 1-yr warranty (the guy I bought it from was a dealer...just not one of the local dealers).

I'm about 7mos into it and there are a few small problems, nothing big, but some of it is stuff that I shouldn't be on the hook for. (DVD player out, door seal falling off, leak around the slideout.)

Local FR dealers are telling me that b/c I didn't buy it from them, they won't service it. "good luck getting the warranty to pay us we don't touch it." really lousy service attitude here. They should fight for me since I'd bring it to them for other things. Instead they ignore me as a customer b/c they think FR won't support them. Is FR that bad?

have any of you dealt directly with Forest River on warranty claims? how how they? any advice?

many thanks!
Anchorage, AK

Kirk-AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
Contact FR and ask if you can use an independent RV shop.
You have be willing to be reimbursed, once they approve the repairs.

You must be new to RV forums, cause these dealer attitudes are quite common in the RV world, with all RV manufacturers, even sacred Winnebago.
Not just FR.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #3
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Contact FR and ask if you can use an independent RV shop.
You have be willing to be reimbursed, once they approve the repairs.

You must be new to RV forums, cause these dealer attitudes are quite common in the RV world, with all RV manufacturers, even sacred Winnebago.
Not just FR.
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Contact Todd Jones over the Salem warranty operations and ask him for help. He was very good in getting an issue resolved for me.
Salem Hemishere 263RL
2010 Ford F-150, 3.55 Quad Cab
Micanopy, Fl
80gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Back On The Go

Same issues with my local FR dealer. However, FR warranty service people are exceptional and work very well with me on issues and parts. It's just a bit of hassle not to be able to take it to a local FR authorized dealer even for minor warranty issues. It does make me leary of giving the local dealer any non-warranty work after being treated this way. And, no, I am far from being a newby, just one who still has a hard time understanding business models that are like these in the RV industry.
2016 Georgetown 270S
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid
2 Janis Hybrid Bicycles

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
If a dealer refused my warranty work because I did not buy from them, I would never set foot in that dealer for anything - service, parts, future sale, etc. My friends would all hear how I felt. But I guess this type of dealer does not care about future sales or service. Like it was said, I don't understand how some dealers run their business. I have taken my TT to 2 different dealers for warranty work. Both dealers did the work. So, in the future, when I am ready to buy again or have service, I will certainly look at both of these dealers.
2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
We have had similar non-responsive results from the dealer from whom we bought our Cardinal 3250 5th wheel. We took delivery in December 2015. Since then we have had about a dozen warranty issues that required serious repair work from the selling dealer. For the past 8 months, we have had the trailer into their shop three times, and virtually none of the issues has been fixed. My wife finally confronted the Operations Manager at the dealership, after getting promises from at least 8 other employees there, and after nothing was done. We are now making progress, but not all of the issues have been addressed to our satisfaction.

This appears to be the same kind of attitude that our camping friends have been dealing with for years. I do not understand how businesses who rely on positive customer satisfaction can survive when they remain un-responsive to their best customer's needs.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Support your local independant contractor service guy,or gal.My local dealer will never get a dime of my money.My dealer in Oklahoma will get me the parts and I'll do it myself or take it over to a small rv shop close to home.Does great work for cheap money.
I could never understand why people wont buy out of state or from distant dealers.I have yet to have my 5er break down setting in my driveway.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Team
Dealers do not like warranty work as they can make more profit doing non-warranty repairs. This is not a FR issue. The Rv industry is very different than you may be used to in the auto industry. Manufacturers have little to no control over the dealers. Dealers choose to do or not do warranty work on their own. They try to encourage buying from them (many times at higher prices) under the threat of not servicing it purchased elsewhere. You can try to get FR to pre-authorize them to do the repair, but I would want to go elsewhere anyway as I judge the overall quality of a dealer by their attitude toward warranty work among other things.
There are two thoughts on warranty repairs.
1. I paid for a new RV , I should not have to fix something that was incorrectly done so I am taking it to the dealer with a long punch list.
2. I bought this RV to enjoy, even though I should not have to repair this myself, I am going to do it and get back to enjoying my camper.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Out of State or Long Distance Dealers

I would ONLY buy local. An RV does not need to break down to require service. On my maiden trip I came home with over 30 warranty issues. Most of us know there is NO guarantee the dealer you purchased it from will service you, but there is a much better chance they WILL than someone you did not buy it from. Many problems happen during the warranty period and can wait until you get home to repair. I live in AZ and was discussing my purchase with a dealer in Indiana because I thought my local dealer was too small. In the end I went with my local dealer, extended the warranty an extra year and have always been treated well and with respect. It takes a while to get the work done but it gets done. He even does extra work and gets it done under warranty. I always treat them with respect and sometimes even bring donuts.....You need to grease more than the wheel bearings......I do not blame dealers for not wanting to preform warranty work. The manufactures do not treat them well or pay them to diagnose or pay them at all. It is just the state of the industry...........

Be safe and smart out there

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote