Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #1

Question warranty work

Does anyone know if you have to go directly through your purchasing dealer to coordinate and approve warranty work? In my case, I purchased from RV Wholesalers, so warranty work on my travel trailer will be done locally by someone in their network.
Thank you for the feedback!

greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

You can go through any authorized dealer. But they might not & don't have to do it. I know the dealer I went through has a sign saying they won't work on any rig not bought from them! You can't deal with the factory direct. The only way is to take it right to the factory.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Interesting. I worked in the auto industry for several years (sales and management) and there was a myth among many buyers that they had to bring the vehicle back to the dealer where it was bought for warranty service. I once had a guy that planned his work around vacations when he was visiting back in the area (had moved to another state after buying).

In the auto industry it is a MYTH. Any dealer that carries the franchise name is legally obligated to provide warranty service on the makes and models they sell/service.

I would think similar laws as to warranty service would apply to the RV industry as well, but I could obviously be wrong.

Of course with campers you are only talking about the first year of ownership (maybe 2 if you opted for the 2nd year of manufacturer warranty).

Would really piss me off to be on the road and have a manufacturer defect covered by warranty and not be able to have it covered at another dealer.

3rd Party extended warranties are a completely different story - those are like insurance - gotta find a participating provider in the RV Doctor Directory
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

you are wrong, the RV industry doesn't work like the Auto industry.
no dealer HAS to work on a rig, if the customer didn't buy from them.
that's why buying from RVW or RVDirect has caused so much controversy in the industry.
i had 3 local Rockwood Roo dealers tell me that if i bought from either of those companies, that they would refuse to do any warranty work.
i called FR and they found other local dealers more than willing to do the work.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

It's true that is where you take the risk in not buying local. Out of curiosityI called several local dealers and either they were not authorized dealers or they did not work on trailers not purchased from them. I did get some names from RVW and am following up there first but I guess I'm unsure what I would do if that doesn't get me anywhere. My trailer is leaking and that kind of fix could get complicated. In my opinion the entire rv industry could use a total overhaul and some much needed consumer protection.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you are wrong, the RV industry doesn't work like the Auto industry.
no dealer HAS to work on a rig, if the customer didn't buy from them.
that's why buying from RVW or RVDirect has caused so much controversy in the industry.
i had 3 local Rockwood Roo dealers tell me that if i bought from either of those companies, that they would refuse to do any warranty work.
i called FR and they found other local dealers more than willing to do the work.
Interesting and good to know. I'll keep this in mind if I have to seek service while on the road. Real bummer really, but just another example of where customer service has gone in todays society. I've learned all too many times that customer service is virtually non-existent these days.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #7

Fwiw: I bought local... But seems that doesn't help me on the road. I'm at the mercy of the closest dealer/svc center.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Statement made in post #3, speaking about the auto industry, "Any dealer that carries the franchise name". The key word is franchise name. Most RV dealer's are not part of a franchise, but rather independent dealer's. Therefore, they are like independent garages, and choose what to work on and when. Now it makes good sense to me, to gain a customer at every opportunity, but I don't own an RV dealership, I just work at one.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #9

We purchased our tt from RV Wholesalers and all our warranty work was done through our local camping world. Even though they don't sell Rockwood or Flagstaff tt they do carry other Forest River products (motorhomes). I just made an appointment, showed up and they handled dealing with Forest River warranty department. Never had a problem and never had a long wait for an appointment.
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycamper View Post
We purchased our tt from RV Wholesalers and all our warranty work was done through our local camping world. Even though they don't sell Rockwood or Flagstaff tt they do carry other Forest River products (motorhomes). I just made an appointment, showed up and they handled dealing with Forest River warranty department. Never had a problem and never had a long wait for an appointment.
Interesting to know as I contacted the Camping World closest to me and they said they were not an authorized Forest River Center. Perhaps it depends on the location of the Camping World? Did you have to go through RVW to obtain the estimate and information or did you just have Camping World act as the go between between you and Forest River without involving RVW?