Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer unit venting

I'm looking for input from those of you that have a combo washer/dryer in your rig that is vented. Where is it vented to? Do you have a vent right out the side of the rig or somewhere else?

A friend of ours recently purchased a 2005 Fleetwood 5th wheel which had a washer/dryer combo installed in it. Not needing it and wanting the space for other things he removed the unit and gave it to us. It appears that it had never been used, in fact the shipping bots are still installed in the back of the unit! Our Georgetown is plumbed for a washer/dryer but was obviously designed for a ventless unit. So I now need to put a vent somewhere for this thing.

Any ideas?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

Our dealer cut a hole directly behind the washer/dryer and installed a chrome vent cover. I wouldn't have a washer/dryer without an outside venrt. It takes too long to dry the clothes and too much moisture in the coach. Our Georgetown is the 378 and it was plumbed for the combination in the bedroom. And the washer/dryer hasn't moved from its orriginal spot for over 20,000 miles. The weight will keep it in place. In the winter we run antifreeze thru the pump and flush it in the spring.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

The hardest thing is actually getting up the nerve to cut a 4 inch hole in the middle of that nice shiny exterior.
First are you really sure it is a vented model? Measure twice and cut once. Start by determining where you want the hole, cut a small hole inside and using a coat hanger or something similar to probe the wall cavity for wires etc. Once you have determined the area is clear, start cutting and install the vent.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer - White - Item - Camping World

this is the factory appliance that FR puts in the Villa Estates.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
First are you really sure it is a vented model?
Definately the vented model. MJ9000V. I went to the manufacturers web site and downloaded the .PDF manuals for it. I have the top off of it in the garage and it is spotless inside, the soap drawer looks a little dusty, as though there was never any soap put in it and the inside is also spotless. I don't think the orginal owners of the RV ever used it.

Ken, PM sent.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

wow.. now that im awake and actually reading the whole thread i see what your doing.

I think for my TT they put the hole through the wall but there is a special vent cover on the outside that they use. just a flatter/narrower vent cover.

Splendide Dryer Vent Kits - White - Item - Camping World

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Ok. I saw these vent kits online, a bit pricy for what they are but probably the way I will go then. I am hoping that I can put the hole through in an area where the external paint is one color and not span a stripe so that I can paint it to match the paint scheme and make it blend in.

As the washer has never been run I will be bench testing it before I get it into the rig to make sure that it will work correctly. At almost 180lbs it's not something I want to be moving a lot.

Did they put a drip pan under the washer when it was installed?
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #8

i have a 5th wheel that was plumbed for a washer and dryer. FR marked a spot on the wall where to cut the hole. do they do that for motorhomes?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #9

There was no drip pan installed in ours. And the vent cover that The Stuff showed was the same one that was installed in our unit. That is a good idea about the small hole first and see if any wires are in the way. All of the 12 volt wires are run thru the roof and down the exterior walls. We went to the factory.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #10

Ours does not seem to be marked for where the vent should be. I don't know if others motorhomes are or not. Thanks Ken for those measurements.

There looks as if there will be ample room above it once installed so I plan on putting a shelf above the washer so we can store our detergent and softener, etc.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Mine was not marked either. I am going to run my own lines for the water, the closet for them is just beside the water heater. and just past that is my breaker box. so i lucked out i guess.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

We ordred our rig set up for the W/D but never knew if we would do it or not. Luck just intervened and this landed in our laps and for free we couldn't pass it up.

The good thing is now the wife is going to have to figure out how to do without the 47 jackets she used to load up in that closet for a trip to Arizona! Go figure.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
We ordred our rig set up for the W/D but never knew if we would do it or not. Luck just intervened and this landed in our laps and for free we couldn't pass it up.

The good thing is now the wife is going to have to figure out how to do without the 47 jackets she used to load up in that closet for a trip to Arizona! Go figure.
Ed. You might want to wait installing the shelf above the washer. There is not much room. we put that rubber non slip on top of the washer and stored all of our laundry supplies (small bottles) in a plastic case. That way you can remove it and find what you want for washing. It also allows you to use a mirror to see if the connections are not leaking in the back of the washer. I check mine everyso often.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited