Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Water freezing in galley

I have a 2014 35QB4 which I am in during the week. Last year my galley hot water froze twice in NC, it only froze twice. This year I am in St. Louis and it is much colder. The artic blast it last night and it didn't get above 10 today and the water in my galley was frozen tonight. I have the heat on and to conserve propane I have a space heater in the belly and I inside. Last night and today I left the furnace on because it was to be so cold but my water was still frozen. I have the inside temp in the 70s but the water is not wanting to thaw. Before it got cold checked the low point drain which didn't actually have any insulation around it. I put expanding insulation around them and my water has been fine until now.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Can I keep my water from freezing?
2. Can I thaw it before it gets above freezing?
DuckCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #2

I had a Sunkist l similar experience last year on our Sabre 34tbok. I had planned to drop the coroplast underbelly covering and add 2" rigid foam insulation with reflective material on one side. My thought was to add insulation below the lines and inside the main beams. I found that the water lines are actually below the factory insulation and only protected by the "radiant" barrier (foil faced bubble wrap). At the point when pipes were frozen and didn't seem to thaw, is close to cutting an access hole and adding a hinge below the kitchen sink base to force heat directly at the pipes. I didn't get a chance to do either mods but may with my next rig. These extreme temps are brutal in a camper. Stay warm
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

I cut a hole in the floor under the sink and found that the water lines run just under the floor on top of the "insulation" if you can call it insulation. I really think it is freezing where the low point drain comes out. I am thinking that once they thaw again, should be this weekend, I will secure a bucket to the belly around the low point drain and fill it with fiberglass insulation. My hope is that this is the only time it will be this cold this winter so I won't have to worry about it. If it gets cold like this again I am thinking of going south. But I will have to find a job in the south first since I am not one of the lucky ones who is retired and full time and I am not really full time since I do go home on the weekends.

As for staying warm. Thanks for your thoughts. I am staying warm but I don't want to even think about how long my 30# tanks will last in this weather. The funny thing is that I am warmer here than my wife is at home.
DuckCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water