Old 04-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #1

Water leak discovered

We have a 2007 Rockwood Ultra Lite fifth wheel.
In the bedroom on the front side just couple inches past the window to the front.
Found very soft spot in the wall so I opened it up.
What had deteriorated that looked like nothing more than particle board a strip from top to bottom about 4 inches wide
Then on each side that look normal was the white styrofoam my question is why would there be particle board strip from top to bottom just in that spot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461133921765.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	105500  

Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #2

Not sure about why the particle board is there, doesn't really matter, the factory uses a lot of junk filler pieces as it is not structural.
The most important thing is where you had water infiltration. Did you find the leak on the exterior?
I am sure you already know....That size hole on the interior, in that location is going to be a nightmare to fix.
Start by stopping the water. Look at marker lights, roof seems ect.

crunchman12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #3

its cheap

I discovered the same thing on my repair too.. Trailers at made very cheaply the outside is fiberglass or aluminium then a few layers off that cheap wood they used to make doors out of..then Styrofoam then cheap wood then interior covering all pressed together with studs randomly placed in all of it...There is likely no rhyme or reason..if the Styrofoam was missing maybe a stud was going there or a service perhaps or maybe it was made on Friday....I would examine a little more if you don't find a reason ..insulate and seal up...but most defiantly find your leak first.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #4

Thanks guys for the comments. Since I'm kind of a Hands-On type guy I like to dig into things and figure them out I looked online I can see that I can buy panels but I might not do that. I might just buy a piece of Styrofoam sandwich it between two luon bored,cut to size and insert into the hole.
Then I have some commercial vinyl that's very close to the interior using a vinyl glue that say 4 vinyl over vinyl .
Yes the big thing is I got to find out where the water's coming in,I give her a good water test didn't have any come in. Has anyone used commercia vinyl and glued it right over the existing wallpaper
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #5

New question Has anyone used commercial vinyl over the existing wallpaper and camper after repairs been made?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Is this a new to you trailer or have you owned since new?
If it is new to you, the leak my have been stopped by previous owners? You can usually see cracks in the exterior sealant around the marker lights, windows, front cap seam ect.. seal everything on roof with Decor self leveling. You would want to use Dicor non sag around lights or anything on the walls.

I have not used vinyl sheeting on the interior in the past.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

As I mentioned it's a 2007 this will be our third season with it, it sets at a seasonal campsite all year and winterize it then just set there from November to April.
Last April we did noticed around that same area in the bedroom on the surface of the Interior there was some hard like pimples that was popping up in clusters. At that time the wall was still pretty solid I mean it was a little soft but this year it was really soft you could just put your hand right in through the
So I did go up on the roof right where the TPO meets the front outside skin I found some places that need to be recaulk and they still look good today.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #8

Crunchman I think what I'm going to try to do wood dress up that area that you see in that picture build me an insert to sit in there to make it look presentable for now not glue anything in place and check it from time to time when the rain comes see if I can find this Lake before I seal it up
Old 04-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
Crunchman I think what I'm going to try to do wood dress up that area that you see in that picture build me an insert to sit in there to make it look presentable for now not glue anything in place and check it from time to time when the rain comes see if I can find this Lake before I seal it up
Sounds like a plan, I would do the same as far as verifying the leak was sealed. Make sure you spray any mold down with a bleach and water mix to kill it. I would buy an OEM panel of wood paneling to match for the repair. The good news, might be a perfect time for a trade in and upgrade.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

The hard pimples are an early sign of water intrusion. I would strongly recommend getting a moisture meter, it will help spot problems before they get to the point of needing major repair. The repair part doesn't bother me, having to tear something open to remove mold does. Mold can spread well past any damaged areas and can be very hard to get rid of.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, leak, water, water leak