Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Water leaking from fresh water overflow.

Just got settled in for the weekend of camping when my wife noticed both fresh water overflows were leaking. When I checked the the level it showed full yet u was hooked up to the city water inlet and not the fresh water one. Any ideas where the water is coming from.

Alan and Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan and Becky View Post
Just got settled in for the weekend of camping when my wife noticed both fresh water overflows were leaking. When I checked the the level it showed full yet u was hooked up to the city water inlet and not the fresh water one. Any ideas where the water is coming from.
Yes, we have ideas. This question is asked 3+ times per week. Start with this current thread in your research ==> Fresh Water Tank Issue.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yes, we have ideas. This question is asked 3+ times per week. Start with this current thread in your research ==> Fresh Water Tank Issue.
Thanks for the help. I will try these suggestions
Alan
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan and Becky View Post
Thanks for the help. I will try these suggestions
Alan
Let us know how it turns out. I had this problem on a trip in April. I cleared the problem by turning off campground water and using all of the water out of the fresh tank for showers, etc. BUT the problem resurfaced during our June trip!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Had it happen. Ran water thru the pump for a while, returned to city water, drained fresh water tank, and left valve open. I leave fresh water tank drain valve open unless I need to use the tank.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Usually related to a bad check valve at the pump. The valve is supposed to prevent water from entering the tank when the pump is on. A bad check valve will allow city water to fill the tank and overflow. Leaving the drain open may work, but you'll flood your campsite and probably lose water pressure. Adding an external check valve isn't too hard and will solve the problem as will replacing the pump. The built in check valve in most pumps can't be replaced or serviced.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 28 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Agree with DrLewie. That happens way too many times.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Most times it is not a bad check valve at the wp. Any time you use the fresh water pump you risk the check valve not seating properly. One of the main causes is debris left in the tank during construction. A sliver from cutting the plastic tank for fittings gets stuck in the valve and holds it open. The check valve is to prevent loosing pressure in the water lines when using fresh water and prevent city water from entering the fw tank. Another cause is running the wp when using city water.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Usually related to a bad check valve at the pump. The valve is supposed to prevent water from entering the tank when the pump is on. A bad check valve will allow city water to fill the tank and overflow. Leaving the drain open may work, but you'll flood your campsite and probably lose water pressure. Adding an external check valve isn't too hard and will solve the problem as will replacing the pump. The built in check valve in most pumps can't be replaced or serviced.
Thanks for your help
Old 07-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Most times it is not a bad check valve at the wp. Any time you use the fresh water pump you risk the check valve not seating properly. One of the main causes is debris left in the tank during construction. A sliver from cutting the plastic tank for fittings gets stuck in the valve and holds it open. The check valve is to prevent loosing pressure in the water lines when using fresh water and prevent city water from entering the fw tank. Another cause is running the wp when using city water.
Thanks for the help. I have never had the pump on while on city water so maybe it is some debris
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #11

This can also be caused by too much pressure on your city water input. Be sure that you are using a good water pressure regular. I had been buying the cheap units that you could not tell what the pressure was until I finally decided to purchase a better unit that allowed me to monitor the exact pressure and even regulate it. No problems since installing this new pressure regulator over a year ago.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 CD
TMPS for Camper & TV
Days Camped for 2017 - 128
Days Planned for 2018 - 42
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
This can also be caused by too much pressure on your city water input. Be sure that you are using a good water pressure regular. I had been buying the cheap units that you could not tell what the pressure was until I finally decided to purchase a better unit that allowed me to monitor the exact pressure and even regulate it. No problems since installing this new pressure regulator over a year ago.
Thanks. I have a water regulator but it is a cheap one. Perhaps I will invest in a better quality one

Tags
fresh water, leak, water, water leak