Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Water pump runs when not in use

We have a 2018 Coachmen Freelander 21RS MH. At times during the night the water pump goes on for a few seconds, and then stops. This happens when with water in the tank with the pump on; OR when hooked up to city water with pump off. Any reason(s) why this is happening? Thanks for all your responses.
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeddler View Post
We have a 2018 Coachmen Freelander 21RS MH. At times during the night the water pump goes on for a few seconds, and then stops. This happens when with water in the tank with the pump on; OR when hooked up to city water with pump off. Any reason(s) why this is happening? Thanks for all your responses.

Maybe a minor leak in the system somewhere? Just a guess but it could be that.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeddler View Post
The pump will run if the pressure drops , either a slow leak or the check valve in the pump is allowing the water to back flow . However if you are on city water with the pump switch off and it comes on you have a different problem maybe switch is bad allowing the pump to receive voltage or ???
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #4

Comming on when pump is ON.....Have a slow drip / leak somewhere releiving pressure.

With pump OFF and on city water.... makes no sense at all.

FYI... DO NOT SWITCH PUMP ON WHEN HOOKED UP TO CITY WATER> EVER.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The pump will run if the pressure drops , either a slow leak or the check valve in the pump is allowing the water to back flow . However if you are on city water with the pump switch off and it comes on you have a different problem maybe switch is bad allowing the pump to receive voltage or ???
X2

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Not at all uncommon. The valves in the pumps, from what I've seen are rubber flapper valves sealing against a flat plate. In theory, they should seat flat. Sometimes one or the other aren't totally flat or there may be a piece of grit or sediment from the tank preventing that, but the pump still does it's job. If you took the head off the pump, you might see it as described. As long as you're pumping and not filling the fresh water tank from the city fill, don't sweat it! Another good reason to filter all the water that goes through your RV even when filling the potable tank
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Do you have an ice maker? Pump will run when it cycles.
Clcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Good morning, check for water under the kitchen/ bathroom sinks, outside shower and compartment in behind the tub/ shower. The culprit may be a faulty 10 cent washer where the faucett connects to the taps.
Cheers!
Phill
ciszzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Not at all uncommon. The valves in the pumps, from what I've seen are rubber flapper valves sealing against a flat plate. In theory, they should seat flat. Sometimes one or the other aren't totally flat or there may be a piece of grit or sediment from the tank preventing that, but the pump still does it's job. If you took the head off the pump, you might see it as described. As long as you're pumping and not filling the fresh water tank from the city fill, don't sweat it! Another good reason to filter all the water that goes through your RV even when filling the potable tank
Is it common for a water pump to run when it’s turned off? I don’t think I’ve come across that.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Is it common for a water pump to run when it’s turned off? I don’t think I’ve come across that.
Sorry, missed the cty connected pump off part. I'd suspect that claim. No way to power the pump if switch is off unless shorted switch or wiring fault. but, as you know not uncommon for pump to cycle with switch on at night
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Don’t discount the possibility of a small leak. It can be any where in any line or fitting or just a pump valve not seating properly. A minor leak ignored is a guaranteed major repair eventually. I had a pin hole develop in the water heater bypass valve that I didn’t catch until it began to drip under my trailer and now I have a soft spot in my floor to repair.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I dont think so. Sure pump is OFF. Had outdoor shower slow drip as a culprit and also a slight drip from low point drain cap.... Bou not when pump switch was OFF.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Comming on when pump is ON.....Have a slow drip / leak somewhere releiving pressure.

With pump OFF and on city water.... makes no sense at all.

FYI... DO NOT SWITCH PUMP ON WHEN HOOKED UP TO CITY WATER> EVER.
It won't hurt anything if pump is on with city water , just won't help any !
Old 06-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #14

Sounds like a defective switch or possibly miswired Switch is easy to replace. Most use push on connectors. Switch is readily available at RV repair center or even some Walmart stores. Take the existing switch with you to gat a match. There are many different switches.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #15

Water Pump runs when not in use.

Could be air in the lines.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It won't hurt anything if pump is on with city water , just won't help any !
Read on here several times that it will cause check valve to lock up between city and FW??
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #17

isn't there normally a fuse in the pump power line near the pump? pull that fuse and check to see if voltage is present with the pump on/off switch in both the on and off positions. the pump should not turn on under any conditions with the pump switch in the off position. imagine what it could do to a battery while being stored if it just turned on regardless of the switch position.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #18

Id like to know how this turns out.... Please report when resolved.

Q: If you unhook city water.... Have full fresh tank (or plenty), turn pump swittch OFF, ... Now open a faucet somewhere. What happens? Water Flow?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #19

I do not leave my freshwater pump on when I am not using.... water.

There are many possibilities of where your 'leak' is. Yes, you have a 'leak' that is bleeding off the water pressure. (and I never use the fresh water pump when I am hooked up to city water). After looking the suggestions over. What about a slow leak at your toilet? Water heater release valve?

I had a small leak for years to I could not find. The fresh water pump would come on for a short time every 5-10 minutes when the pump was on. Looks for years on why..... I parked our unit more or less 'level' all the time. the a rain storm was forecast and I 'tilted' the unit to the slide out side where rain would flow off. When we had the fresh water pump on for a while, a very small stream of water was coming from under the wall at the tub wall location. Turned out the connection was not screwed into the tub faucet tight enough and there was a small leak. Why did we not see this leak for years? under the tub is a cut out in the floor where the u-pipe from the tub stuck down. the water go into this cut out and leak into the under belly cover and was never noticed. Had to peel the wall back to tight the water connection......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Read on here several times that it will cause check valve to lock up between city and FW??
Never heard of or experienced such a thing . nor does it even sound reasonable. The check valve works when on city water to prevent filling the FW tank and when on pump to prevent back flow . having pump on when city water is on would make no difference to the check valve .

Tags
pump, water, water pump